Monday, September 3, 2007

Minnesota State Fair!

Wow! Where did the summer go? I know that I said that I was SO ready for school to start, but...ACK!... it starts tomorrow! I DEFINITELY have different feelings going into it this year, as my job will be so DIFFERENT, and so much BETTER, but I SO have to prove myself right from the start, and show everyone that the "new" media program is the way to go. I'm TOTALLY up for the challenge, but am SO TERRIFIED going into it.

To focus on OTHER things (as the clock continues to tick away to that "early bedtime because you have school tomorrow" thing...ack again!). Duane and I had a LOVELY weekend here in the cities. On Saturday, we got up bright and early and went to the Minnesota State Fair. Neither of us has been there before...Duane because he just hadn't gotten there yet, and me because I HATE the whole "Great Minnesota Get Together" nickname (it's stupid and...stupid...I much prefer the Iowa State Fair, which just seems more like a real fair than this "city" thing). We both finally decided that this was the year.

We took the shuttle from Eagan (very well coordinated by the MVTA (Minnesota Valley Transit Authority)). The bus dropped us off at the "Eagan" drop point (there was even a big sign that said "Eagan", so we'd know where to pick it up after we were finished at the fair). For $5.00, we got a round trip ride, and didn't have to worry about driving, or, worse yet, PARKING at the fair.

Were we to EVER do it again, however, I think we'd try to go on a week day EARLY in the fair schedule. To go on the LAST weekend of the fair, LABOR DAY weekend, and NOT be expecting a horrendous crowd was a little silly on my part (Duane knew that it was called SUPER SATURDAY, but, in an effort to actually GET me to go, didn't mention that part). It was fine for the first couple of hours, but by 11:00, it was wall to wall STUPID.

Highlights: deep fried Spam bites (dipped in ranch dressing), deep fried fruit on a stick, the cool chickens in the poultry barn, seeing my niece Abigail's parrot picture with a 2nd place ribbon in the education building art display. Lowlights: stupid people everywhere, crowds, we didn't find the "hotdish on a stick" stand until we were leaving, we missed the jams/preserves/baked goods ribbon winners display, I just don't get the whole "princess Kay of the milky way" dumbness, and it was rather hot!

I think we've decided that we'll try to get to the fair every TWENTY years, so I have awhile to psyche myself up for the next journey. I got a little testy and unpleasant when it got to the point where we couldn't move because there were so many people who, for no apparent reason, decided to just STOP right in front of us. I AM kind of looking forward to trying more things on sticks (but not a pronto pup, which is just a stupid Minnesota way of saying CORN DOG...!), but am DEFINITELY not in any hurry!

On Saturday, we drove up to Taylors Falls to climb around on the rocks, enjoy the GORGEOUS scenery around the St. Croix river, and eat greasy fried food and drink home made root beer at our favorite "drive in". It was even hotter than the day before, but it was nice and shady throughout most of the park, and I got some AWESOME pictures (about 250 of them) while we were there (Duane is SO not enjoying how much I enjoy my digital camera!). It's always a GORGEOUS drive up there, and it's SO beautiful once you finally get there.

On the way back, we stopped in Oakdale to see "The Simpson's Movie"...SO not worth the money...even the $4.50 matinee price that we paid. "The Simpsons" works well as a 30 minute cartoon, but there's just not enough there to maintain a storyline through an entire feature length film. Duane (and I) also didn't appreciate the "grown upping" of the show (Marge's character just isn't suited for taking the Lord's name in vain!). They hinted at a sequel in the closing credits...we can only hope that the show is cancelled, or there's some sort of natural disaster that keeps this from happening...oy!

Today was very mellow. Duane and I ran some errands (I had to go buy wine, so that I could be mellow and relaxed this evening, so that I can actually sleep and be "rested" for tomorrow). We also walked around Lake Nokomis and went to visit Robin and David and family, who just returned from surviving a family reunion on David's side of the family in Sioux City.

The rest of the day was spent watching multiple episodes of America's Next Top Model (the season with that crazy/scary Jade!), and updating this blog. Now I'm going to try to continue the "relaxation" with a bubble bath, soothing music, and probably a few more glasses of wine before bed!

If school is part of your life (as a teacher, student, or parent of a student) hope your school year is off to a FABULOUS start/will start off FABULOUSLY!!!!

Wish me luck...it's going to be an interesting year!

No comments: