Sunday, March 22, 2009

Musical Theater is NOT for "Wussies"...!


I am injured. I am NOT embarrassed to say it's a "musical theater injury". I WAS a little embarrassed when I gave my "why" at the doctor's office last week, and THINK I'm going to come up with another excuse, because people look at me with the ODDEST expression when I tell them how it happened.

The problem, however, is that I am not sure what that excuse will be (and have people BELIEVE me...). "Football injury" will just get laughed at. It's not soccer season (as far as I can tell), and ANYONE who knows me AT ALL will not believe "bunjee jumping" for a second...

Here's the deal. I think I'm getting TOO OLD to do certain choreography...ugh! A few weeks ago, we were learning the cadet march in "Seussical". Most of the cadets are in their late teens, and twenties. I'm not...

There's a move where we all march into a line, and fall into each other's laps onto the floor. We then proceed to "butt walk" across the stage (I think I mentioned this in my previous blog entry). As we were going down into the sitting position, I heard all of these "crackly noises" in my right knee. It felt a little uncomfortable, but wasn't debilitating. It bugged me, off and on, for a few weeks, but wasn't anything major.

Now...here it is THREE weeks later, and I can hardly walk on it. It's been FINE up till this point, but now I can barely limp from point "A" to point "B". I'm sure it hasn't helped that I've had to work every day, and have had rehearsal every night...ouch!

I went to the doctor Wednesday, and they took x-rays, but didn't find anything wrong. My doctor's advice was to "stop doing whatever I'm doing if it hurts, take ibuprofin, ice it, heat it, and come back in two weeks if it's still bothering me". I'm THINKING it's still going to be bothering me, since I've now been limping on it for a week. At that point, we might do an MRI to check the ligaments and tendons, but the doctor said that sometimes you can't tell what's wrong with an MRI, either...TERRIFIC...!

He did refer me for some physical therapy, which I start on Wednesday, and the director of the play has been VERY patient at rehearsals by letting me WATCH instead of limping through the numbers (he's started referring to me as "Gimpy McSomething"...).

I'm starting to get VERY nervous about the show. We open in ONE month, and I'm NOT getting the practice on the steps that I (WAY more than any of the other cadets!) need, to make it through the songs without looking COMPLETELY moronic...

I also never realized how LONG my library at school is, and how many times I walk the length of it each day. I finally broke down and borrowed a crutch from the school nurse on Friday to make the "trek" a little easier (I also learned through this experience that I SUCK at using a crutch...must be a "balance" thing...which, apparently, I don't have!).

Big black cloud hanging over me as I worry about being able to make it through the show, and as I try to stay off my leg (I'm NOT very good at just "sitting around"...). Here's the KICKER...when I didn't get the part that I wanted, I spent WAY too long being whiny and pissy about it, then I realized how COOL the cadet part is, and how much I enjoy the people in the show. NOW, I'm faced with the possibility of NOT being able to be in the show, and am TOTALLY freaking out. I REALLY want to do this part!!!!

So...we'll see, I guess, how THIS all plays out...

Ugh! Hope YOU are in top physical form, and are able to accomplish all that YOU have going on in your life!!!

No comments: