Monday, September 14, 2009

WHAT A WEEK!!!

Wow...what a week last week was!  Happy, stressful, sad, EXHAUSTING, intense...did I say exhausting??!!  School started, the play opened and closed, a friend had a baby, and a friend's father passed away.

The details: 

School started on Tuesday.  On that very first morning, I walked in to the office and was greeted by the school secretary, who stated "the computers are down, the telephones aren't working, the copy machine is busted, and your media assistant's background check hasn't come back yet, so she won't be here until it does"... 

I'll leave it at that for week one, except to say that the rest of the week didn't get any better.  I should have just turned around, and walked back out the door.  I'm not sure I'm going to make it through this year...it's certainly going to be a "nail biter" to see who wins...me or the job...
_____________________________

Patrick Healy, renowned Gilbert & Sullivan expert from Ireland, came on Tuesday evening to "workshop" us for the remainder of "tech week".  I was COMPLETELY intimidated by the man, which is stupid.  He's a very nice, older gentleman, and he was nothing but kind, and funny.  I think it's the "renowned expert" part that freaked me out!  Here I was...a community theater actor/singer...being directed by THE Patrick Healy...gulp!

The rehearsals went well, (mostly), although redoing choreography and rephrasing and setting new tempos on songs we've been working on since July, FOUR DAYS BEFORE WE OPEN, is a little stressful!  It all went well, though.  The Loft Stage at East Ridge High School, which is BRAND SPANKING NEW, was GORGEOUS, and the show was quite good (although I'm still not sure I LIKE Gilbert & Sullivan...)!  It kind of felt like dress rehearsal all weekend, and it's CRAZY that we did two shows and are now closed, but, it's all good.

As I was leaving the cast party last night, I thanked Patrick for his direction, and he said (not directly quoted) that I did a very nice job on my solo.  I'll take THAT compliment!

I really enjoyed working with so many AMAZING performers, and made some really good friends throughout the rehearsal process.  Lenore (the director for MOST of the rehearsals) and Lisa (the vocal director) said last night that they were shocked that so many "solo performers" auditioned for the show. There were MANY new faces in the cast, and it really was a WONDERFUL group. 

I look forward to working with the company again someday (mostly because the "powers that be" kept telling me how wonderful I was, and THAT'S always nice!).

Not many pictures to post from the show yet.  I'll put some in a new post when they get loaded onto Picassa!  Here are a couple that I took with my cell phone...

Michael and Me in the makeup room!

Rachel and "G" (G-Geoff)

Me and Rachel backstage

Me and Rachel backstage- 2

Mugging for the camera...phone...

Janelle, Ro, Jan, and Marcie in the makeup room
______________________________

My friend Linda had her baby (three weeks early, and a shock to MOST people!). He was born prematurely, so needed to be in the "Special Care" nursery until yesterday, but Israel is doing well, and I THINK they went home today.


He's adorable, as the picture below will attest, and I can't WAIT to get to know him better!  (I MIGHT even be brave enough to hold him when I go over to visit this week!).
_____________________________

On the flip side, my friend Amy's dad died on Saturday.  I only met him once, but he was a very nice man, and, he must have been an AMAZING person to raise such a FABULOUS person as Amy (and her sister Sara!).  My thoughts and prayers go out to Amy and her family as they deal with this sad loss.

I guess that about sums up my September...I mean week (ugh...has it REALLY only been a week??!!).

Hope YOUR week last week was ALL UPS, and that you survived it with FLYING colors!

No comments: