Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ugh!

Not sure WHY I sign up for these things, but Ashland Productions is doing a "Step Up the Mic", American Idol-type talent contest next month, and I've submitted my application.

I'm ALREADY hyperventilating trying to pick a song, and am trying not to FREAK MYSELF OUT, and have already FREAKED MYSELF OUT, but am hoping to go in as "the old guy", and at least make it through the audition round.  They've, apparently, got some big names from the entertainment industry to judge, so NO PRESSURE THERE...

I THINK I'm going to sing "Being Alive" from Company (I know...how GAY...).  I found a nice version on a CD by John Barrowman (who I missed being in Old Gold Singers with at the University of Iowa by a mere semester!!!) that is in my range, and, if I DO say so myself, I sound AWESOME singing.  The problem is that I can't find the sheet music for it, which isn't a big deal initially, since the audition is "a capella" (which I SUCK at), but will need to find for the actual contest.

WHY DO I GET MYSELF INTO THESE THINGS??!!

It will be good "practice", as I'll be going back to Fairfield in April to JUDGE a similar contest.  My buddy Tena and I will get to perform a song during the evening, so at least I'll get to sing without the pressure of being "judged" at that event.  It'll be on the Sondheim stage, so...BONUS!  I haven't figured out my "judge personality" for the Fairfield gig yet, but am thinking a Simon-like persona might be fun...!!!!



Anyhoo...if you're in the Twin Cities the last weekend of March, get tickets to the show at http://www.ashlandproductions.com/ and come and vote for me...I'm going to need all the help I can get!!

1 comment:

T. Edlin said...

You definitely have to be Simon... you get to leave town afterward, so you can easily be the mean one! ;)