Sunday, January 9, 2011

OVERWHELMED...but ALIVE!!!


Every so often, in the middle of our crazy, hectic lives, we get a wake up call that helps get us back on track.  I had one of those last week...

Melissa, a former co-worker, and friend, lost her battle with cancer.  She fought a really long, hard battle, with a remission, which became a recurrance, and eventually lost the fight.  She leaves behind 6th and 9th grade daughters, and a multitude of distraught family and friends.  The pall over school has been palpable.  There have been tears, and regrets at not spending more time with her, and an outpouring of love and comraderie among those of us who knew her.

I've spent the last year whining and complaining about my job, and bitching about being too busy to enjoy my life, but SLAP IN THE FACE...I'm alive!  Being busy, and being unhappy, and letting the negativity around me eat at my soul, has definitely done a number on me, but I DO have control over how my life is lived.

I never call people, because I have this weird thing about not liking to talk on the phone.  I've been COMPLETELY negligent in responding to e-mail from friends on my home e-mail account.  I didn't even BOTHER sending my yearly Christmas card and letter this year...too busy.  For some of my friends, that's the ONLY time they ever hear from me.

There will always be whiny, negative, difficult people in your life, who will do their DARNDEST to make you miserable.  Whether they succeed or not, is up to you!    I will ALWAYS overschedule my life, and, at times, be "too busy to breathe", but, right now, it's time to get a little perspective!

Our days on this earth truly ARE numbered.  Why spend the time between "arriving" and "leaving" being unhappy, or frustrated, or angry, or overwhelmed? Work will ALWAYS be there...frustrations and annoyances will ALWAYS be there...crazy, busy, overly scheduled days will ALWAYS be there.  Focus on the truly important things...family, friends, your faith...whatever truly makes YOU happy to be alive!

I think Melissa would agree!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Nicely said, Jeff.

Hope to see YOU soon. Another game night is in the works for March....take a look at your weekends!