Sunday, January 29, 2012

Minnesota Fringe Festival...ACK!!!

Soooo...I'm in another show...maybe...


My friend Kris, who once "encouraged" me to audition for a show with her and another friend (neither of whom got in, leaving me to be in it alone), auditioned for a Fringe Festival show called "A Capella Love", an ensemble piece with eight cast members, focusing on the various aspects of falling into (and out of) love. 

After her audition, the director said they needed tenors.  She suggested me, and the director said to contact him.  I did, and auditioned the day before Christmas (with the composer "Skype-ing" in from Los Angeles...no pressure there...!). 

Kris and I made it to callbacks, which were on January 16th.  I got cast.  She didn't.  So...ONCE AGAIN...I'm doing a show that she's not in.  Perhaps I should start paying her a "finders fee"...WHEN I'M NOT MAD AT HER ANYMORE FOR, YET AGAIN, GETTING ME INVOLVED IN SOMETHING FOR WHICH I'M ALL BY MYSELF...!!!! 

All kidding aside, because I really AM grateful for the chance to be a part of this...I'm TERRIFIED!  The music is REALLY difficult, and will involve getting everything memorized before our first "official" rehearsal in April or May.  FOURTEEN songs...fourteen DIFFICULT songs...ugh!

I've started going through the music (besides the snippets I learned for the audition and callback), but am having a difficult time getting motivated to put much effort into it yet. With the Fringe Festival, all shows are put into a "lottery".  Not all shows get chosen...so I guess I don't want to put too much effort into it until I know we're "in".

It's frustrating to think that I've made it this far (auditions and callbacks)...worked this hard...been this stressed...and we might not even get to do it! The lottery is Monday, February 13th at the Mixed Blood Theater in Minneapolis...wish us luck!!!

Even though I AM freaked out, I can't wait to learn my part.  I'm playing "Wesley", the cynic. The songs are really well written, and will TOTALLY stretch me as a singer (and, apparently, a dancer too...ack!!!!).  It's such a weird thing to be "fleshing out" a character for the first time EVER.  When the director called to say that I'd been cast, he also said that they had written "my" song earlier that day!  I've never had a song written specifically with me in mind...pretty cool!!!!

I'm also a little freaked out about the rehearsal schedule.  We will be having daytime AND evening rehearsals to start...which presents a problem...since I have a job!  I guess I know what I'm doing with all of my "personal days" and "comp time" this year...!

Hmmmmm...I guess I should calm down until February 13th...

Anyway...here's hoping YOU succeeded at a recent challenge, and that YOU are pursuing something you love as well!!!!

2 comments:

*Mandie* said...

My dear Jeff, you have NOTHING to worry about at ALL! I have known you since I was 11, and I have NEVER seen you do less than simply marvelous on stage - EVER! God has given you such a beautiful gift, so lovely to behold. Just let it all go...leave the stress and tension behind and embrace your gift and let peace and love and joy take over your soul and radiate out into the audience as it always does when you're on stage. Love and Many ((HUGS)) to you, my friend, you are so very blessed!

Anonymous said...

We know you can sing your heart out and you will be awesome!