Saturday, June 1, 2013

Loss....

My media assistant at the high school, Madge, lost her battle with brain cancer last week.  To say that it makes me sad is an understatement.

Madge (right), and her daughters Bethany and Nicole

Madge was gracious, and kind, and had a snarky, sarcastic nature that made her fun to be around, and kept me calm and focused when I was in the media center at the high school.

For those of you who don't know me...HIGH SCHOOL SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME...!!!  I've spent my entire career working with elementary school kids (and younger, when I worked at the public library).  The high school gig was added to my job description last year, and I'm TRYING to make it work, but, truth be told, my OWN high school experiences still loom LARGE in my subconscious, and I'm COMPLETELY uptight and stressed out when I'm there (even more so than usual!).

Madge said EARLY in our collaboration to remember that "high school kids are just big children".  It helped a little, but I still saw it all as an additional stress on my already "put upon" psyche.  I knew, however, that I didn't have to worry...Madge was there to take care of everything...and she did!  I was OFFICIALLY the boss, but we BOTH knew who was in charge (her), yet she smiled through every change...every "initiative"...every "let's try this" that I threw at her.

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to get to know Madge better.  Even MORE unfortunately, I didn't take the time to learn how Madge did things at the high school.  I'm paying for it now, as I try to figure everything out in her absence.  It's TRAGIC that I can't even tell her substitute where to find extra staples or how to print a spine label...!!!!

Madge and I always had a special "goodbye" when I'd head out the door for home...or a meeting...or to get to one of my other libraries.  Early on, I used to say "I'll be here on Tuesday to continue where we left off"...and wouldn't get there, because of a meeting that popped up, or something that took precedence somewhere else.  It would be DAYS before I actually got back.  I tried having a "schedule" for a couple of weeks...and she finally said "Jeff...how about this...I'll see you when I see you".

It worked, and it was COMPLETELY accurate.  I guess it's my turn to say it now..."Madge...I hope it's a REAAAAAAALLLLYYYY long time from now, but...I'll see you when I see you"!!!

No comments: