Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Family Treasure

My mom has always liked working on craft projects, but seems to have gone through a particularly "crafty phase" in the mid-70's. She belonged to the Fairfield Jr. Women's Club, and I think craft projects were a regular part of what they did.

I remember several items that she made to decorate the house on Adams street in Fairfield.  She glued fabric to plastic eggs and placed them inside a wire chicken, which she placed in the kitchen.  She painted wooden ornaments for the Christmas tree.  Best of all, however, were the three wisemen she crafted out of fabric, and Styrofoam, and glue.  Of all the items she made, the wisemen are my favorite, and have become a treasured family "heirloom".


Apparently, the women in the club got a pattern for these wisemen, with various base items like heads, hands, and feet, and could then individualize theirs by choosing their own fabrics, and materials with which to embellish them.  Mom picked some AMAZING textures, and colors, and even spray painted the heads to make them look richer.  My sister and I used to love staring at them...the velvet...the jewels...the gifts chosen to present to Jesus...truly beautiful.

A few years ago, mom gave them to my sister and me.  I think it had something to do with the two OVERLY rambunctious cats they now have as pets.  I don't think the wisemen would last a day with the two of them around.  Whatever the case, they would have stayed in storage, but we now get to display them lovingly in our houses...one year at mine...the next at my sisters...then back to mine...and so on.







I've been trying to track the pattern down for YEARS, and have hit many dead ends.  About a year ago, however, we found this blog post.  It doesn't give much detail, but DID clue us in to "Dip and Drape", which was used to make the cloth stiff.  It also clued us in on the Styrofoam core, and also told about spray painting the heads, hands, and feet.  It's a start!

I will continue to search for the actual patterns, and SOMEDAY I might even be brave enough to try making my own set (mom hinted that they were a PAIN to make!).  For now, however, every other year, I will put the three that mom created on display, gaze at them with appreciation and wonder, and again thank mom for taking on the challenge of making them.

Here's hoping YOU have something lovingly created by a family member that you proudly display too!!!

No comments: