Sunday, May 16, 2010

Appendicitis???


So...I woke up this morning at 3:00 with pain around my belly button, which then moved to my right side.  It had been bugging me a bit when I went to bed, and it was uncomfortable sleeping on either side.  I don't sleep well on my back, so tossed and turned a lot up to that point.

I got up, used the "facility", worried and little bit, and went back to bed.  I proceeded to toss and turn until I got up again, and got online to check "symptoms of appendicitis" on the internet. 

Here's what I found at http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/appendicitis/:

The abdominal pain usually
•occurs suddenly, often causing a person to wake up at night

•occurs before other symptoms

•begins near the belly button and then moves lower and to the right

•is new and unlike any pain felt before

•gets worse in a matter of hours

•gets worse when moving around, taking deep breaths, coughing, or sneezing


Other symptoms of appendicitis may include
•loss of appetite

•nausea

•vomiting

•constipation or diarrhea

•inability to pass gas

•a low-grade fever that follows other symptoms

•abdominal swelling

•the feeling that passing stool will relieve discomfort


Symptoms vary and can mimic other sources of abdominal pain, including

•intestinal obstruction

•inflammatory bowel disease

•pelvic inflammatory disease and other gynecological disorders

•intestinal adhesions

•constipation

Hmmm...
pain starting around the belly button...check.
pain moving to right side...check.
the "passing stool" thing...check.
Temperature...no thermometer, but I didn't feel warm.
Vomiting...nope.

Prognosis...call physician immediately (which I didn't do).  Physician will do several tests to determine problem, and, if no clear diagnosis is evident, will, most likely remove the appendix anyway...just in case...WAIT A MINUTE...  So...if the physician doesn't find a clear problem, I may have to have surgery anyway.

Hence the reason, I'm still at home, waffling between going to urgent care, or waiting it out to see what happens (apparently, I have up to 24 hours before it could possibly rupture...sending infection through my abdominal/digestive tract).  It doesn't really "hurt"...it's more discomfort and pressure, which I'M SURE IS JUST GAS (my "catch all" diagnosis...).  It's not getting worse, and, at times even feels better, hence, the waffling...

One website said that there are LOTS of possible reasons why I am feeling like I'm feeling, including gastrointestinal and gynocological issues...I'm PRETTY sure the latter is not it...

So...urgent care is open until 8:00 p.m., and the emergency room is open all night.  I guess I'll continue to wait and see.

Wow...probably WAY more than you cared to read about my health right now...sorry.  Here's hoping YOU are healthy, and comfortable, and GAS FREE....!

1 comment:

Mrs. Jones said...

OMG you crack me up. Hope you are OK.