Sunday, March 6, 2011

Iowa Weekend for Dee's SURPRISE 60th Birthday Party!!!

I just got back from a SPEEDY trip to Iowa to be part of a surprise 60th birthday party for my friend Dee in Tipton.  It was a HOOT! 

Dee was COMPLETELY shocked!  She wasn't expecting the party at all, and it was fun to watch her react, as she realized various people were there.  Her son K.C. flew up from Florida for the weekend to be there.  Dee didn't know he was in town at all.  It was GREAT to watch it sink in that he was right there in front of her. 

She then worked her way around the room saying "oh my gosh...you're here too!". She saw me TWICE before she realized that I was there and made the connection that I'd driven down from Minneapolis!

I didn't know many people at the party, but I was able to reconnect (briefly!) with Tressa, Karen and Rich, and Glen and Diane...all friends from my college days, or family friends through my parents.  I also had a chance to catch up with K.C. and Chris.  They've both grown up to be AMAZING men, and I have such GREAT memories of time spent with the family!!!

Happy birthday Dee!!!

Glen and Diane

Chris, Dee, and K.C.

Me and Dee!

We had a GREAT meal, spent a little more time catching up, then I headed to North Liberty to spend the night.  There wasn't NEARLY enough time to chat, but hopefully we'll be able to get together again sometime in the near future to continue the conversations (and K.C. "friended" me on Facebook, so we can continue to catch up there!).

I spent the rest of the evening with my friend Kel, from grad school.  We watched a couple of movies, drank a lovely malbec, and then called it a night!

Today, Kel and I headed to the Iowa River Power Company for brunch. 


If you live ANYWHERE NEAR Coralville, try the Sunday brunch there...it's AMAZING (and mimosas are included in the price of the buffet!)!  The dessert table alone is worth the trip.  I stuff myself on various FABULOUS breakfast entrees (scrambled eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, biscuits and gravy, belgian waffles, mashed potatoes, etc.), and had an AMAZING lemon cake with various fruit glazes on top, and chocolate dipped strawberries to finish everything off...wow!

I should really have waited until she was finished chewing to snap a photo!!

Yum!!!

Cheers!

My FABULOUS dessert!

After brunch, we walked across the bridge spanning the river.


The windows (behind me) through which we watched the river while having brunch

Kel and me!


A sculpture along the walking trail at the end of the bridge (and it's for sale, if you are interested!)...


I then dropped Kel off, and drove back to the cities.  8 hours in the car (round trip) for 21 hours in Iowa...oy!!!

Here's hoping YOU were able to celebrate something special with "old" friends too!!!!!

No comments: