Monday, November 12, 2012

Another Show Ended!!!!

I haven’t had a chance to post for awhile because of the musical I finished performing in yesterday.  I just completed my FIFTH production of “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat”!  I was NOT going to do this show again, but, as fate would have it, I did NOT get cast in Woodbury Community Theater’s production of “Into the Woods”, which I really wanted to do (sore subject…enough said), so…had some time on my hands. 


Actually, I didn't, but needed something to take my mind off my completely overwhelming job…and all the stress there, so auditioned. I have to say here and now that having been Joseph in THREE of the five productions was thrilling, and wonderful, and…AMAZING! The last time I did the show, I got cast as Napthali. It was not pleasant…I was surly and crabby…and I think my actual response after seeing the cast list was….”What?! There are BROTHERS in this show?! What do they do? Who are they? What??!!”

I thought SERIOUSLY about dropping out, but stayed in the show to get on the “good side” of the choreographer who does lots of stuff at the Chanhassen Dinner Theater. I was hoping for an “in”… but to no avail. I DID meet some fun people, survived the experience, got to sing “Benjamin Calypso”, paid my “dues” with that theater company…and never went back.

This time, I had HOPED for one last shot at Joseph, but it wasn’t meant to be. I think I’m out of the “age bracket” now (although I will not admit that out loud to ANYONE!). I was cast as Reuben…”the ELDEST of the children of Israel”. I should be glad, I guess, that I didn’t get the part of Jacob (which is why I’m NOT auditioning for this show ever again…it’s only a matter of time…!). 

It's actually a fluke that I got this part at all. The theater company that produced it gives actors the option of choosing which parts they’d like to be considered for. I ticked the boxes for “Joseph” and“Napthali”. LUCKILY, the director (and a friend of mine) asked at the audition if I’d accept any other roles. I hadn’t considered the other brother solos, but told him I didn’t like “One More Angel in Heaven”, but would be open to doing “Those Canaan Days” (even though I’m a terrible dancer, and am afraid of the whole Apache dance after the solo).


I'm SO glad he asked, because it was an AMAZING number, we DIDN’T do the Apache dance, and it was an ABSOLUTE HOOT to perform! I got a fake cigarette (the coolest thing ever…filters made with varying degrees of nicotine to help people quit smoking, but nicotine-free filters (which I used) as well that create water vapor that LOOKS like smoke, but doesn’t have the smoke smell or taste…awesome! They charge by plugging them into the USB port on a computer, and the tip lights up when you inhale…), a wine bottle (from which I pulled the cork with my teeth every night and spit across the stage), and a sound engineer who knows my voice, and knew JUST when to punch the audio to make the high notes ring throughout the theater...AMAZING!! The brothers and Jacob as my “back up” were ASTOUNDINGLY awesome, and it was an audience favorite every night! 

Here's a bootleg video, shot during the second weekend of performances, should you wish to watch:

    

Now that the show is over, I’m taking a break from performing for a little while.  I went straight from eight months of Fringe rehearsals/performances for “A Cappella Love” directly into Joseph rehearsals.  Adding to the exhaustion…rehearsals began the week before school started, and started each night at 6:00…so I spent LOTS of time in rush hour traffic and…I’m tired!  I would REALLY like to have auditioned for their next show (Damn Yankees!) as many of the members of the Joseph cast did, but they start rehearsals for that show TONIGHT…oy!

The theater company is doing a 15th anniversary concert/performance in May.  I’m HOPING to be able to be a part of that!!!

Here’s hoping YOU were part of something musical and AMAZING recently too!!!

1 comment:

T. Edlin said...

LOVE seeing this... YEA!!!