Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A ZANY Idea!!!!

Duane and I LOVE to go to grocery stores!  We visit them on trips across the country (and world!), and it's part of our weekend ritual...stocking up for the week.

The problem is that I ALWAYS find stuff to buy/try/eat.  As a result, my cupboards, and my refrigerator, and my freezer...are FULL.  I've actually resorted to storing things on the COUNTER.











A few years ago, I had a thought...why don't I USE all of this stuff up before buying anything else?  OF COURSE that only lasted until our next trip or the next time we went to the grocery store.

So...as an experiment, I'm going to try to do just that...use everything in my cupboards/refrigerator/freezer before finding other things to fill the space.

A caveat...some of the items I've purchased need "additional" ingredients to make them, so I am going to attempt to buy ONLY stuff that I need for a recipe, or to complete a sauce/box/mix.

Over the years, I've found several websites on which you can list ingredients that you have on hand, and they provide recipes that you can make with them.  Super Cook looks good, as does the "Ingredients on Hand" window at What's For Dinner?  I will have to play around with them, and see if they work.  Otherwise, I'm going to have to "ramp up" the creativity, and figure it out on my own!

I'm SURE this will only last as long as the next trip to the grocery store, but, I'm intrigued by the concept.  Perhaps I'll start slow now, and buy SOME stuff that I need to complete a recipe, or make a box mix, but add a few ADDITIONAL items too.  My goal is to start "officially" on January 1st...a cooking New Year's resolution, if you will!  I'll post as the year progresses, and let you know how it's going.

Here's hoping YOU have a goal for the New Year that will clean/organize your life as well!!!

No comments: