Friday, November 23, 2018

Wednesday, October 12th, 1988

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Okay, I'm finally getting to this again, but no apologies, or regrets.  I'll write when I can I guess, besides not that much happens every day that' exciting enough to bother with.

So, since my last entry the main event has been the JALT conference on Portopia Island in Kobe.  Kyl came down on Wednesday, so we'd have some time to see each other.  He got in on Wednesday night.  Matsuo-san took me to the station to pick him up, and we went to Matsuo's for dinner.

Hiroko cooked yakiniku, and waited on us hand and foot.  We looked through hundreds of pictures, and exchanged cultural names.  Kyl is now Masao, Akira is Steven Carter, and Hiroko is Rebecca Williams.  I'm still Akira Hahayama- lecturer of the funny mountain.




Thursday Kyl came to school for the day.  He came to my class and part of Kim's, sat in on my Japanese lesson, and participated in E.S.S.

Friday he went sight seeing/shopping.  I came to school and talked and sang at high school chapel.  It went well.  I left at noon  met Kyl.  We went through Himeji Castle and shopped some more.

We took a later train and went to Nobu and Carol's for the night. 


Saturday the conference started.  I attended many good lectures, and received lots of practical ideas.  Most notably from the 3 days was a lecture on using a point system in motivating students.  I implemented it in both of my E.C. II classes with fabulous results.  Very encouraging!

We stayed with Carol & Nobu again Saturday night.

Monday Kyl left & I went to the last day of conferences alone.  Exhausted & burnt out I somehow made it through the day.

Monday night Kim stayed over.  We talked a little, but we went to sleep soon after she arrived.

Tuesday was a full class day.  My attitude was positive the whole day and my classes went very well.  I'm enjoying my newly smaller E.C. I class, and for the 1st time, was excited about E.C. II.  Mike used the point system too, with equally positive results.  Kim is going to use it in her E.C. I class.  I guess they are pretty surly.

The jazz group practiced at lunch outside today.  We perform at Poppolo in 2 weeks...ack!

No comments: