Friday, November 2, 2018

Wednesday, September 14th, 1988

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Well, it's been almost a month since I wrote last, and I can't think of much that was done during this time.  Kim & I went to Osaka several times.  We hit a store that had complete kitchens set up, plus baskets and such.

I've been in Osaka a lot lately, because of the opera I'm doing now.  Last Friday was the first rehearsal of "La Boheme" (with the La Scala Opera).  We rehearsed Friday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and will perform Friday.  It's a lot of fun, and I've met some fun people.  I play a coffee vendor, with another red head, John R., who is from Ireland.

I also "rescued" a girl from Australia, who was being picked up by an Italian chorus member.  We have backstage passes, and it's very strict, but interesting.  I push a coffee cart and sell in the 1st scene of the 2nd act & walk around on a raised platform later.

The principles were at yesterdays rehearsal for the first time.  The lead soprano is fabulous!  I'll miss it when its all over.  The strange thing is, though, that I don't utter a sound through the whole thing!

Sunday night I stayed with Kim in Mikage (side paragraph- Mike & Resa, Kim & I moved Kim to Mikage the day before.  She had a lot of stuff & we got lost all day long.  We moved her in, ate at Danny Boy in Sannomiya, then went to B's to get the stuff left for us by someone returning home, then took her back  on the way home got hopelessly lost!  The main highway was closed and it took us 3 1/2 hours for a 1 hour trip.  I got home at 1:30.  They got home at 2:30 (am).).

We have to watch it because men aren't allowed at the apartment building.  But of course I ran into the landlord & his wife on the way out the next morning!

Monday night I stayed with I's.  It was fun. Carol took me to meet her 3 English students at a coffee shop, & it was a lot of fun!

Tuesday was dress rehearsal.  The conductor was there, & we were warned that if we took pictures, talked, or did anything out of line, he would huff off & we could be there for hours & hours, but all went well & we were out by 7:00.







 There's a lot of sitting when you're an extra!!

I ran to Osaka station, got a train home & got here about 2 hours before "The Messengers" arrived.  2 of the group are staying with me at present.  They sang today in chapel, but that'll be mentioned in my next entry.

They came at 12:30 & I was exhausted, but luckily they wanted to go right to bed.

No comments: