Monday, March 30, 2020

Create My Cookbook is AWESOME!

Several years ago, I printed the first edition of my favorite recipes in a book I entitled FLAIR (Frequently Looked At Interesting Recipes).  I printed 10 copies, and gave them out to family and close friends. 

The cookbook contains about 150 favorite recipes that I collected from cookbooks, magazines, family, and friends.  It took a lot of time, and a lot of effort to type them all into a website I had found that actually PRINTED "homemade" cookbooks (www.keyingredient.com).

The book turned out well...


...and I eagerly started compiling additional recipes for Volume II.  UNFORTUNATELY, keyingredient decided to suspend the printing function of their website, and instead focus on being a "recipe warehouse".

So...I kept compiling recipes, hoping they would eventually move back into the printing business...to no avail.  I searched other options for online cookbooks, including both Snapfish AND Shutterfly...neither of which gave me the number of pages needed at a reasonable price.

During the gathering of recipes for FLAIR II, Keyingredient also went through some changes, and I happened upon the site during a rebuild that made it look something like Netscape, circa 1994.  It was clunky, and ugly, and I abandoned it, foregoing the addition of any new "liked" recipes on that site.

Luckily, I checked keyingredient again a few months ago, and it appears the Nescape-esque version is gone, and a fairly slick "refreshed" site is now up and running...without...of course...the printing option.

So...REALLY wanting to publish the second volume, my partner Duane found Createmycookbook.com, and I'm SO GLAD he did!  It's an awesome site...super easy to use...and the finished product looks REALLY good!


I have created the shell for FLAIR III, and am adding recipes for eventual printing.  I'm also cutting and pasting the old recipes from the original FLAIR for a reprinting (in the same format, and of the same size) as FLAIR II. 

It's something to keep me occupied as the days of "Shelter in Place" spring break continues!

Here's hoping YOU are finding things to do while homebound as well!!!

No comments: