Saturday, September 20, 2008

I SO Have to Check This Place Out!!!

I LOVE kitsch! I've been to see the "largest ball of twine" (located, conveniently, right here in Minnesota). I've also been to see the "world's largest large mouth bass" (statue) (also located, conveniently, right here in Minnesota!), and NOW I MUST go BACK to Lindstrom, Minnesota, because they not only have a water tower shaped like a coffee pot,


but they also have a store with a VERY LARGE WIENER on the roof...



...that HAS to count for something, right??!! Duane and I are SO going to have to go back and look around this FUN, FUN, FUN little town!!!

A couple of years ago, Duane showed me around HIS home state of North Dakota...LITTLE did I realize that it contained BOTH a HUGE cow statue (Salem Sue) AND a "ginormous" bison statue (in Jamestown, ND)...a veritable "kitsch bonanza"!!!

If YOU are into "kitsch", you have to read The Great American Road Trip by Eric Peterson...a guide to the "unusual" and "kitschy", broken down by state, for the ENTIRE United States!!! I got it at Barnes & Noble in the "sale book section" (go figure!), and it lists everything from the Paul Bunyan and Babe statues (here in Minnesota) to the Hole in the Rock sandstone gift shop (Moab, Utah) to the giant Superman statue (Metropolis, Illinois) to the American Dime Museum (Baltimore, Maryland). CLASSIC venues, that we should ALL be more conscientious about visiting!!!!

Hope YOU have found a little bit of "kitsch" in YOUR life recently!!!

No comments: