Sunday, May 17, 2009

San Francisco Weekend

Duane and I have been talking about a "quick weekend getaway" FOR YEARS...but somehow just never got to it.

This past weekend...we finally did! We hopped on a plane Friday night (even got FIRST CLASS!), and spent a LOVELY Saturday revisiting some favorite places in the San Francisco area.

We got into town around 9:30, and headed to our hotel, went to bed as soon as we got checked in (12:00 Minnesota time), and then got up Saturday for a WHIRLWIND day!

We started out with breakfast at Royal Donut in Burlingame (one of Duane's MUST DO'S of the trip). I had the Ay Carumba scramble (ancho chiles, eggs, ham, and cheddar cheese) with fried potatoes and wheat toast. It was FABULOUS! Couldn't tell you what Duane had...I was too focused on my scramble!

After breakfast, we looked around Burlingame for awhile, then headed down the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Cruz. On the way, we stopped at one of my FAVORITE beaches...San Gregorio State Beach. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous, and SO sunny and warm...WOW!







After San Gregorio, we continued down the PCH, and stopped again at the Pescadero State beach. I found some GREAT sea glass, and a few shells to bring back for "the collection". I had some great sand dollar pieces from San Gregorio, but managed to SIT on them (they were in my coat pocket) when we got back to the car, so ended up with a pocket full of sand dollar "sand"...yuck!

After Pescadoro, we stopped at the Pidgeon Point lighthouse. The view from the grounds is AMAZING, and I went down a new path to the shore...AMAZING!!


While on the beach, I found the seal below lying in the sand. I thought he was dead, and he CERTAINLY seemed to be "in distress", but WAS breathing a little bit, and is HOPEFULLY okay as I type this. We went up to the gift shop, and told the ranger working there about the seal, and he SAID he was going to contact a manager to take care of it (and to leave the seal alone).





After the lighthouse, we continued on to Santa Cruz. It was REALLY crowded, and the traffic was AWFUL, so we didn't stay in town for very long. We were WAY more interested in the "getting there" than the "being there", so headed back UP the PCH to San Francisco.



We drove through the city, and spent the rest of our afternoon at the Golden Gate Bridge. I LOVE the Golden Gate Bridge, and we stopped at the "viewing areas" on BOTH SIDES to take pictures, and spend a little time walking across the bridge.

It was REALLY clear on Saturday, and I think this was actually the FIRST TIME I saw the city from the bridge....it was AWESOME!!!!















After spending time at the bridge, and SUFFERING through the horrible traffic to get back to Burlingame, we headed to Il Fornaio, an Italian restaurant that we found on our last trip to SF. The food is awesome, the atmosphere is delightful, and we were able to eat on the patio...TOTALLY cool.



After dinner, we returned the rental car to the airport, took the shuttle back to the hotel, went to bed, got up, and headed back to the airport for the trip back to Minnesota. No first class this time, but we were VERY glad to get on the plane...it was REALLY full, and we weren't sure we were going to!

I LOVE weekend getaways! Can't wait to do it again!

Hope YOUR weekend involved lots of exploration, and visits to places that YOU love!!!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Glad I finally linked to your blogsite. You can get to mine via my comment...however I can tell you that you won't be seeing any fun travel pictures coming from my way for awhile....
just a bunch of babies and kids.

I have already told Tim that I want to go to San Fran for our next "Couple" trip. Seems so romantic, and so beautiful...your pictures definitely captured that!