Sunday, October 4, 2009

Out With the Old...

...and in with the new...

I bought a new sofa!  It's gorgeous, but I'm mourning the old one a little bit.  It was the first piece of furniture I bought after getting the children's librarian job in Fairfield, after spending NINE MONTHS living with mom and dad, after moving back from Japan.

First pieces of furniture are...APPARENTLY...a little like old friends.  You grow to love them, and you grow comfortable with them, and you APPARENTLY have a difficult time parting with them. 

I remember picking it out TWENTY YEARS AGO.  I remember dad and I trying to lug that HEAVY, HEAVY sofa up to my upstairs apartment (oh how I WISH we'd thought to take the mattress out before doing so!).  I remember how AWESOME it looked in that old, bare, white room...shiny, clean, BEAUTIFUL.

I also, however, remember how FREAKING uncomfortable the "bed" part of the thing was.  You had to sleep "kitty corner" from upper right to lower left, or you PAID with a sore back for DAYS.  I also remember how Duane HATED how narrow and low it sat (which was a BIG part of why I bought a new one).

It served me well, and I really did think it was one of the most comfortable pieces of furniture EVER.  It's currently wheeling down interstate 35 in the back of mom and dad's pickup...bound for the auction house in Ringgold County.  Hopefully, it'll find a new home, and will live out it's days with nice, calm, careful people!

I know...get over it...IT'S JUST A SOFA!!!!

Anyway...here's a picture of the "old"...



and here's a picture of the "new"...



UNFORTUNATELY, the arm chair's days are now numbered.  APPARENTLY, like everything else these days, the sofa is SUPERSIZED, and the chair now looks like children's furniture.  Luckily, I'm not as emotionally attached to it...I bought it at Wal-Mart for eighty bucks to have something to sit on in the bedroom of that same apartment.  It's shiny, and blue, and looks a little TOO early 90's...

Anyway...here's hoping YOU have a nice, comfortable sofa...whether it be new OR old, and that all of YOUR furniture is the same size!!!!

No comments: