Sunday, March 14, 2010

"Step Up to the Mic" Audition- Part 1

So...I learned something today.  You should ALWAYS double check the audition time BEFORE the actual day of the audition. 

I spent MOST of the weekend prepping for "Step Up to the Mic" in Maplewood this afternoon.  At 2:00, I thought that I should probably MAKE SURE there wasn't anything I was missing (resumes, headshots, a ball point pen).  Lucky I did, because, the audition that I THOUGHT was at 3:40 was at 2:40.  I had just enough time to throw on my audition clothes, fill my water bottle, find my shoes, and run to the car.

OF COURSE, I got behind every driver's license carrying member of the "I Can't Go Over 10 miles an Hour or My Head Might Explode" club, but managed to get there about 10 minutes before my "audition time" was to start.  It's a REALLY long 40 minute drive when you are CRAWLING there...

There were two other people waiting to audition, but somehow I managed to be the first one called (how does THAT work??!!).  I went in, and did my thing...all 60 a capella seconds of it (I was DEEPLY chagrined to find that there wasn't a piano, or a pitch pipe to be found). It's a little unnerving to just "pick a note" out of the air, and go for it, but, I did.  After I finished, one of the judges said that I had a very strong voice, and that was that.

Apparently, it was a GOOD strong, because I just got the call a little while ago that out of 100 people who auditioned, I'm one of the final 15!!!!  GULP!!!


I have to call tomorrow to set up an appointment for headshots, then meet with the accompanist on Saturday to run through my number, then have a dress rehearsal next week, and the show is a week from next Saturday (I even get a "stylist" to make me look spiffy!).

What have I gotten myself into....??!!  I'm nauseous already!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew it! Congratulations on being in the top 15. What a happy feeling.

lovelinda