Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Grocery Store FANATICS!!

One of the things that Duane enjoys as much as I do, and something which endeared me to him from the start, was that we BOTH enjoy going to grocery stores!  Not just in our own town, but EVERYWHERE we go...whether it be California, Canada, New York, Amsterdam, or Paris. 

We LOVE browsing the aisles, looking at the local brands, seeing what U.S. labels look like in other countries, and just experiencing the food of the particular place we are visiting. We love it so much, in fact, that it's a REGULAR part or our trip itinerary...check into hotel, get maps of local attractions, find grocery store....

So...LAME as this post is...I was THRILLED to find the Wolverine tin toy grocery store at an antique store in Cannon Falls this past weekend.  My sister actually saw it first, and let me know that it was there.  Unfortunately, this is only PART of the original set (see photo below), but, at $90.00, was WAY more affordable than the complete set, which is currently listed on ebay for $500.00.


Because of our interest in grocery stores, and my TOTAL love of tin toys from the 30's and 40's, and the COMPLETELY cool graphics, I have COVETED this toy for YEARS.  I found one in an antique store a few years ago, but it was $300.00, and I was going through debt management, so COULD NOT buy it.

Since I have a one bedroom townhouse, space is limited, and I did NOT have room for my new purchase, but, I decided that it would actually be PERFECT as a functional REAL spice rack (after trying to find toy "food items" to fill the side shelves, and purchasing various vintage spice containers, and not being happy with how it looked).

So...I found little spice jars, transferred spices from my plastic containers to these, and now have the following on my counter:





Now I just need to find the "meat counter" (see first photo) to place in front of it, to give it a little depth.  If you ever see one in an antique store...LET ME KNOW WHERE YOU SAW IT, and I'll BE there!!!!

Here's hoping YOU have a passion for collecting, or grocery stores, and YOU are finding things that make you smile too!

1 comment:

T. Edlin said...

You are adorable.