Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Scottsboro Boys

Duane and I spent the morning at the Guthrie Theater, at a workshop called "How'd They Do That?".  I have to admit, having been in many shows, a "behind the scenes" tour wasn't very high on my "To Do on a Weekend" list, but it was actually pretty cool!

I was a little concerned when we took our seats and looked around...mostly old people and "theater groupies"...but once the set designer started talking, and the prop mistress showed us some of the magic she had worked transforming everyday objects into period prop pieces, followed by a tour of the lighting design, I was hooked.  I LOVE theater, I LOVE being part of the theater community, and I LOVE sharing the experience with other like minded people.  The highlight of the workshop, though, was the Q & A session with four of the actors from the show.  They were eloquent, and passionate, and very enjoyable to which to listen. 

I have to admit that I've never heard of "The Scottsboro Boys", and need to do more research on this tragedy, but it basically revolves around 9 black men who are falsely accused of raping 2 white women.  They are tried, and convicted, and they go to prison.  Most of them are eventually released, but fade into obscurity.  This musical (??!!) tells their story, and immortalizes their HORRIBLE treatment.

It's told in minstrel form, with minimal scenery (15 chairs...period), and includes a bunch of glitzy dance numbers (the team behind it's creation also wrote "Cabaret", and "Chicago").  It opened off-Broadway, is being "workshopped" here, and will then move to Broadway this fall.

Here's a YouTube video with John Kander, who wrote the music for the show:



A very dark subject, and a very intense plot, but I REALLY want to see it now!  If you're in the Twin Cities area anytime between now and September 29th, see the show...you WON'T leave unmoved, or unchanged!!

No comments: