Thursday, April 4, 2013

Ohio!!!

The running joke in my family has been that EVERYONE has been to Hawaii except for me.  My mom and dad have been there.  My sister and brother-in-law have been there.  My nieces (who are now 13 and 16) have been there.  My garbage man...my dentist...the guy who serves my Big Mac at McDonald's...even the paperboy...have ALL been to Hawaii.

It got to the point where I couldn't even STAND to hear the word "Hawaii", so I made everyone change it to "Ohio"...because who really cares if anyone's been to Ohio or not (although I spent a lovely weekend in Cincinnati for an IB workshop, but that's already been blogged...).

I seriously thought that I was the ONLY PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD who hadn't been there, which was probably true...until now.  Duane and I used one of our two sets of "positive space passes" (part of his retirement package from Northwest Airlines...which guarantees us seats, even though we are flying "standby") to spend spring break on Kauai!


WOW!  That's all I can say...WOW!!!!!  Although I'm not sure it was worth the 48 year "build up", I CAN say that Hawaii is AMAZING, and WONDERFUL, and COMPLETELY FABULOUS!!!!!

We flew out of cold, dreary, snowy, brown Minnesota last Sunday.  After a three hour flight to L.A., a three hour delay at LAX, and a six hour flight to Lihue, we FINALLY arrived.  I would have LOVED to have landed while it was still light out, but it wasn't meant to be.  No worries!  After all of that, I was simply ELATED to have landed!!!!

We got lost NUMEROUS times trying to find our hotel, the Kauai Inn, but, FINALLY arrived, checked in, and headed straight for the showers and bed.  The Kauai Inn is an inexpensive, "out of the way" hotel, but I couldn't have enjoyed any place more.  "Vintage"..."quirky"...and incredibly clean...it was lovely!  The staff was super helpful and friendly, the grounds were spiffy, and the resident cat, Jezebel, was delightfully friendly and welcoming!

Since there's too much to write for one blog post, I'm going to do what I did with the Baltic Sea Cruise, and give a "day by day" overview of our trip...so...stay tuned for DAY 1!!!!

Here's hoping YOU were able to get away to paradise recently too...

No comments: