Monday, March 14, 2016

Spiral Bound Cookbooks

My posts earlier this year, featuring goodies from each of the vintage recipe boxes that I've collected over the years, reminded me of another collection that I have...cookbooks!  I have hundreds (literally!).

 SOME of the collection (the rest are scattered throughout the apartment)

I started a series of blog posts, working my way down the shelves, posting a picture of the cover and one recipe from each.  Being an actual librarian, however, I figured it was, most likely, in violation of copyright (even under the tenets of "fair use").  As a result, I deleted the THIRTY THREE posts I'd already...posted.

I started writing about other things, but just wasn't very motivated to continue, so, thought of another option...within my cookbook collection are many, many non-copyrighted vintage and newer cookbooks printed by churches, civic groups, schools, and social clubs. They were created as fundraisers, mostly, but also as mementos of the people and the camaraderie shared within those groups.  I have collected some VERY COOL ONES over the years!

I think the cookbook that got me hooked on this sub-genre of cookbooks was the following:

My mom was a member of the Fairfield Junior Women's Club, and this is one of the first cookbooks I remember seeing (and using) while growing up. I was THRILLED to find a copy of it on eBay a few years ago.

It was printed in 1973, and has a list of the membership, for that year, inside the cover.  Lots of familiar names...Clela Doggett, Carol Edeker, Judy Hall, Linda Oakes, Bonnie Peaslee, Jane Potts...great women, and GREAT cooks!

The recipe I MOST remember from this cookbook is Bonnie's SEVEN LAYER COOKIES.  Mom made them frequently.

So, for my first post of this new series, I give you...

Seven Layer Cookies

Easy and mixed in baking pan.

1/2 c. margarine
1 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 c. coconut
1 (6 oz.) pkg. chocolate chips
1 (6 oz. ) pkg. butterscotch chips
1 can Eagle Brand milk (do not use any other)
1 to 1 1/2 c. nuts (chopped)

In a 9 x 13-inch cake pan melt the margarine.  Sprinkle over it graham cracker crumbs, then coconut, then chocolate chips and then butterscotch chips.  Then drizzle over this 1 can Eagle Brand milk.  Sprinkle nuts on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Cool and cut.  Also delicious eaten warm!

Enjoy!

No comments: