Monday, January 14, 2019

Saturday, October 29th, 1988

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Yesterday was a pretty good day.  I rode the 8:22 in, and got caught up on lots of stuff at the office.  I started researching and organizing thoughts, materials, etc. for my English Drama class next year.

I had my koto lesson.  I was okay, but made lots of mistakes, as usual.

I got letters written, papers copied, my newsletter article for F.B. in Fairfield written, and various lesson plans & stuff done.

Friday night was Megumi class.  This was our Halloween party.  We did the suitcase race, made masks, trick or treated in the church, and I set up a "Feel the body part" place.  The students were blindfolded and I had them stick their hands in various things like hamburger, jello, tomato juice, spaghetti, etc.  We told them it was brains, blood, heart, etc.








The reactions of some of them (guys as well as girls) was hilarious!  We had cake & cider, and bobbed for apples, too.  It was really fun!

Today mom & dad called and said that Grandma Shepherd died yesterday (Friday).  It was a relief, I guess.  She's finally out of her coma.  But you never really prepare yourself fully for that "one phone call".  I'm not sure what my reaction is.  I'm too far removed from the situation to feel it properly.  I'll miss what she used to be, but guess I have been already, since she went into the nursing home.  God Bless you in your new life, gram.


Today I ran errands, and had my lesson with Meg and Manna.  they went pretty well.  I called Kim this morning.  We discussed final plans for "Phantom of the Opera" next January.

After lessons Michiyo called about a news release for our Shirotopia show.

I went grocery shopping, and am now relaxing, contemplating life, age, and death, and preparing to watch "Young Sherlock Holmes".

No comments: