Thursday, April 19, 2007

Miscellaneous

Well...here it is already April 19th (HAPPY BIRTHDAY Linda D.!!!), and I haven't had a chance to blog for DAYS! This is BIRTHDAY month in my life! Abigail's birthday was the 13th (see "bad uncle" blog for April 14th). LaDawn's birthday was the 14th, Emilie's birthday was the 17th, and Linda's birthday is today.

Luckily, I got together with Robin and David and Emilie and Abigail on Emilie's birthday to celebrate. We went to D'Amico and Sons for dinner (had the dried cherry pasta salad...to DIE for!), and Cafe Latte for dessert (LOVE their desserts!).

Called Linda tonight to sing the "Happy birthday song". Haven't talked to her for WEEKS, so it was good to catch up. Her big test is Saturday, so send your good wishes her way...she's actually STUDYING on her birthday...poor dear!

Worked at the mall last night. SO not into the mall thing anymore. Ready to QUIT, but need to work the summer to save up enough money for Germany at Thanksgiving. I HAVE found that it's MUCH easier to work when you DON'T CARE what happens, or how you are doing (how BAD is that??!!). After THREE years at Harry & David, I'm a little FRIED.

Am thinking I will be WAY more fried next year with "regular" job. The one-day-a-week tech guy sat down with me today to say that he was told he wasn't needed next year, because I'D BE TAKING OVER ALL OF THE TECH RESPONSIBILITIES IN THE BUILDING. Not sure HOW that's going to work, since my main focus is SUPPOSED to be collaboratively teaching with the other staff in the building, specifically focusing on research skills and library related stuff. I'm thinking I'll HAVE to quit the mall job anyway, as I'll probably be stuck at school until ALL HOURS of the evening trying to get stuff done.

I'm CLUELESS as to things like site licenses and what programs teachers need for what things they are teaching, and Ron told me today that we are loading Windows 2007 over the summer, and the screens, programs, etc. are A LOT different than what we currently have. I'm too OLD for this crap...oy!

Not much else to report...my check to the dept. of the treasury hasn't gone through yet (which is good...I only have $10.00 in checking until tomorrow!). I MAY actually "beat the bank" this time. I won't hold my breath though.

Mom and dad are coming up for the weekend. Robin and Dave are remodeling their kitchen, bathrooms, bedroom, and are refinishing all of the wood floors, so it's going to be a "work weekend"...that should be fun.... Mom and dad are "technically" here to help Emilie and Abigail celebrate, belatedly, their birthdays, but I'm thinking that's just a ruse on the part of Robin and Dave to get more "workers"...sigh.

Everyone is coming over here tomorrow night for my "famous" pastitsio. Here's the recipe (not sure WHERE I got it!), in case you want some FABULOUS Greek pasta:

Pastitsio
8 oz. (2 ½ cups) uncooked ziti
1 lb. lean ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
3/4 tsp. salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
3 T. margarine or butter
3 T. all purpose flour
2 cup half-and-half
1 egg
6 oz. (1 ½ cups) shredded fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
Dash nutmeg

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 12X8- inch (2 qt.) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cook ziti to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain.

2. Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until ground beef in thoroughly cooked and onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and cinnamon; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened and thoroughly heated.

3. Meanwhile, melt margarine in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually add half-and-half, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat.

4. Beat egg in medium bowl. Slowly add about half of flour mixture, stirring constantly. Return egg and flour mixture to saucepan. Add ½ cup of the cheese; stir to blend well.

5. Add cooked ziti to beef mixture in skillet; mix well. Layer half of ziti mixture in sprayed baking dish. Sprinkle with ½ cup of the cheese. Top with remaining ziti mixture. Spoon white sauce over ziti mixture. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese.

6. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly around edges, center is set and cheese is browned. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. To serve, cut into squares.

No comments: