Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Thoughts


I was trying to figure out what to say today, regarding my thoughts about the election. So many things have been running through my head. Then...I read my friend Tena's blog (http://www.gleaminggloat.blogspot.com/), and didn't need to think any more about it. Her thoughts on this whole thing are BRILLIANT, and ELOQUENT, and PASSIONATE, and REALLY, REALLY POIGNANT. I'm posting HER WORDS here on my blog, because they really spoke to me:


I had no idea I'd cry so much tonight.
I cried when I realized it was possible.
I cried when the networks projected a winner.

I cried when John McCain spoke.
So eloquent.
So gracious.
So classy.
I hurt for him.
He truly is a hero who has sacrificed more
than I ever knew I had.

I cried when I saw Barack Obama speak to more than
a million people.
I cried because I was happy.
I cried because I was scared.
I cried because I was relieved.

I cried because our country has taken another step.
A step toward growing up.
When Geraldine Ferraro said in 1984 that
"America is the land where dreams can come true for all of us,"
it wasn't really true.
I cried tonight because now it is,
or at least we're a lot closer to where that is.

I cried because the hope is so big
it feels like it's going to burst through my chest.
The hope that we can be respected again in the world.
The hope that we can have peace.
The hope that we can all just get along and be proud Americans,
no matter what our beliefs or philosophies.
The hope that we can have differing opinions
but still respect each other and work together.

I cried when Barack Obama talked about his grandmother.
I miss mine,
and I know how it feels to have wonderful things happen
and to wish the people you love the most were
there by your side.

I cried because I'm proud.
I'm proud to be an American.
I'm grateful to live in a country where I have the right
to speak
to teach
to debate
to vote
to dream

to hope.

Hope and gratitude.
Important words in my life.
I'm so filled to the brim, they spilled out.

I cried.

Wow! What amazing insight into the whole thing!!!

As HAPPY as I am that Barack Obama is going to be our next president, however, I can't say that I'm COMPLETELY satisfied with how things turned out...Michelle Bachmann got reelected to another term, and she's a COMPLETE and UTTER MORON...Proposition 8 passed in California (barring gays from getting married...incidentally, I found it interesting that an article online today stated that a LARGE number of blacks came out to vote for Obama, and, in exit polls, stated that they voted for the proposition...hmmm...they have THEIR civil rights, but are voting to keep another group of oppressed people from having theirs...that sounds a little BIGOTED and PREJUDICED to me...).

We also didn't pass our technology levy for my school district, which means next year is a HUGE question mark...technologically speaking...AND the proposition to have the city of Eagan buy the defunct golf course behind my townhouse. and keep it as "green space" was defeated...which means the guy who owns it can now put in a combination of houses, townhomes, and low income housing...GREAT...maybe I WON'T buy this place...just in case they rip out all the trees and build a GHETTO back there...

Overall, however, I AM thrilled, that Obama is our president elect...although it FLOORS ME that it took 200 years to finally elect a non-caucasian president!!!! Another article that I saw online today stated that Obama is TRULY our first "international" president...father from Kenya...raised for part of his life in Asia (Indonesia?)...spent another part of his life in Hawaii (okay...not TECHNICALLY an international location, but tropical, anyway!)...I can't WAIT to see what the next four years will bring!!!


5 comments:

T. Edlin said...

Crap... I just cried again reading your blog about my blog! I'm so freaking emotional over this election! Or, maybe it's PMS. JUST KIDDING!!!! :)

Love you!!

Jeff S. said...

Love you back! Thanks for your words...they were very inspirational! What an AMAZING time for our country!!!

uproryous said...

According to your friend Mandie we made the wrong choice. She has her right to her own opinion, but really, it is over give it up...

T. Edlin said...

I read Mandie's big note on Facebook. She's the daughter of a small businessman who built a company. She's very passionate about the taxing on incomes over $250,000. I totally do not relate to that since, in my chosen profession, I will never make anywhere close to that. She's entitled to her opinion, but it's so foreign to me, I have zero capacity to relate.

Jeff S. said...

I AM a little flabbergasted with people who don't seem to notice what has happened to our country during the last eight years under a Republican president...