Monday, January 19, 2009

Mid-January Resolutions!!!

Well...since I COMPLETELY missed the "New Year's Resolutions" thing this year (we were in North Carolina)... I'm now working on my "mid-January" resolutions (same thing as a "New Year's resolution", but there's LESS time to get to the goals...and it's VERY high pressure and intense...).

Anyway...as I've been trying to figure out WHICH parts of my life need the most work, this is what I've "come up with" to work on this year...

1). Lower my cholesterol. I went to the doctor for a physical in JUNE, and found that my cholesterol was in the "should be concerned, and take steps to correct" zone. I was supposed to go back for a "follow up" blood test in August, but was in the process of moving, eating REALLY bad foods, and thought..."I'll put it off for awhile". STILL haven't gone back, but am starting the whole "oatmeal and cheerios" thing TODAY, so will schedule an appointment for April (time enough for the oatmeal and cheerios" to do their thing!).

2). Lose weight. Man...this one seems to be on my resolutions list EVERY YEAR. You'd think I'd have done it by now, but, I'm a little TOO FOND of fatty, salty, junky food. I've TRIED to lose weight, and have accomplished the goal, but then put it all back on when I get busy, or stressed, or bored. I'm starting the Weight Watchers "Points Chart" today. So far, I've only had a cup of coffee, but my REAL test is the two or three hours before bed...the PERFECT snacking time...ugh!

3). Get more exercise. I started the lifting weights, walking, and crunches rotation thing this summer, but, as school got started again, and mornings got earlier and earlier, dropped it. I picked it up again about a month before the holidays, but, again, got busy, and things got hectic, and that extra "sleep time" in the morning became more and more desirable. Duane and I went for a walk in the snow yesterday, and I started lifting weights again this morning, SO...my second resolution is to get back into fitness (plus, rehearsals for the play start Feb. 17th, and I'd like to be a little less TUBBY (since I'm NOT playing Horton), and a little more fit for whatever this is all going to evolve into.

4. Drink less wine. Okay...I admit that I'm a little too fond of wine. Not slobbery, staggery, drunk fond of it, but DEFINITELY "it helps me relax" fond of it. I'm HOPING that the whole "lose weight/get more exercise" thing will assist with this resolution. Wine is HIGH in calories, and will TOTALLY defeat losing weight, which I think I REALLY AM now committed to doing...

5. Work on my debt load. I'm HAPPY to say that this one is closer to becoming a reality than ever before (see previous blog entry on the whole "debt management" thing...). In June, I will have a credit card balance of $0.00!! I still have a HUGE student loan to pay off, and the monthly bills for heat, electricity, phone, etc. still keep coming, but this will be the first time in 15+ years that I don't have a STAGGERINGLY HEAVY credit card debt. I THINK I'm going to be taking on a mortgage in the next year or so, but, that will replace the "rent" category on my budget sheet (yeah right...like I HAVE a budget sheet...), so HOPEFULLY the "income" will be a little less STRANGLINGLY TIGHT, and I can breathe a bit easier...

6). Swear less. Okay...I admit it (although if you know me AT ALL, you already know this)...I get EXTREMELY "potty mouthed" when I drive around the cities. It doesn't HELP that 98% of the drivers up here are COMPLETE and UTTER morons, but, in an effort to "detoxify" my commute, I am stating here, for the world (or at least the three people who read my blog) that I am vowing to curtail the "blue stream of trucker talk" that seem to pop so freely from my mouth. Enough said.

7). Spend MORE time with family and friends (said with a bit of irony, since I'll soon start being OVERWHELMINLY busy with rehearsals for "Seussical"...). I don't really need to elaborate on this one. I get too busy, and too wrapped up in things, and my personal relationships end up taking the brunt of it. No more (I hope). Family and friends are what it's all about, right? Why cut time from that for all of the "crap" that fills our days??

Okay...that's where I'll stop. I don't want to become TOO PERFECT too quickly (okay...even I'M laughing at that one). Honestly, I think that's MORE than a good start...maybe a bit too grandiose, but, that's kind of what New Years (or mid-January) resolutions are all about, right? The "stretch goals" that we make to become the person that we truly want to be??!!!

Wish me luck, and I hope that YOU are sticking to YOUR goals for 2009!!

1 comment:

LaDawn said...

Good job, Jeffrey! Don't let the challenges of weight loss get you down, just use the same principles of moderation that have worked so well on your deb reduction plan. And, check out Men's Health ABS DIET. It's perfect for people like you who are busy, fond of food, and not "into" working out.

I found lots of sound nutritional advice humorously presented in their neon orange books.