Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Inner Diva is SHRIEKING!!

Well...my luck (or lack thereof) appears to be holding steady in the "auditions in the Twin Cities" department. I've done exactly THREE auditions since moving up here...one for "HONK!", for which I NEVER heard anything back from anyone after my initial audition; the second for "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" in Eagan, where I got cast as Napthali (a brother) after having done the lead THREE times with other companies; and the third for "Seussical: The Musical", which you get to SUFFER through hearing about now...

Ashland Productions is doing "Seussical" as their spring show this year. This is the group that I did the Christmas show with a few weeks ago. I have to admit, I'm not that familiar with "Seussical", but I bought the CD and FELL IN LOVE with the character and songs of Horton the Elephant. So...I went to auditions with the INTENSE desire to get that part.

My friend Keri, who was also in the Christmas show (and who is responsible for getting me involved with Ashland...for which I may NEVER forgive her), had suggested that I audition, and, to be honest, the Christmas show really whetted my appetite for getting back on the stage. Kate and Janet from school also decided to audition, as well as my new friends Jameen, Kris, and Meg (also from the Christmas show).

I was SO nervous going into the initial audition, and TOTALLY SUCKED at the dance audition (I AM an old, out of shape man, after all...). I did well enough that I got called back...for Horton, it turns out, the next night. The director had four kids he was looking at for Jo-Jo, and me and another guy in to audition for Horton. I must say that I KICKED ASS at the call back, but, as my luck holds, DIDN'T get the part.

The WORST part is that this was one of those auditions where you fill out a form indicating which parts you are interested in playing. I, of course (being a TRUE diva), put "Horton", and "The Cat in the Hat", and even lowered myself to checking the box next to "Mayor of Whoville", to hedge my bets.

UNFORTUNATELY, when you do that, if they have someone that they've worked with before, who is fairly talented, and KNOWS everyone on the directorial staff...OF COURSE they are going to get the part. YOU, however, sit at home, by the phone, waiting for the call, hoping against hope, until that LAST SECOND, and then go to bed, and toss and turn ALL NIGHT LONG.

Okay...I've been wallowing in self-pity all day...time to get a grip. ANYWAY...I got to school today, totally dejected and deflated, and Keri, who also didn't get cast in the role she had hoped for, declared that she REALLY wanted me in this show (and I have to secretly admit, that I really wanted to work with this AWESOME GROUP). So...I told her that she could tell the director that I'd be open to "filling in", in case someone dropped out, or didn't accept their part. Unbeknownst to me, she went ahead and e-mailed the director, who replied IMMEDIATELY that he wanted me in the show.

So...long story "relatively short"...I'm in the show, but am, basically "3rd Who on the left"...this could POSSIBLY be the smallest role I've EVER had in a show, and, again, my inner diva is actually THROWING THINGS AROUND IN MY HEAD, and KICKING, and SCREAMING, and generally NOT happy. However...I really DO like this group (from what I saw during the Christmas show), and have heard GREAT THINGS about this director (and was impressed with him during the audition process), and will just have to consider this my "paying my dues" show.

This same director is slated to direct several shows next season as well, so hopefully the "lead slump" that I'm in will gradually go away. I'm a little concerned about all the mileage I'm going to be putting on my car (and the amount of gas I'm going to be going through), during the winter, in Minnesota, for a CHORUS part, but...that's what "paying your dues" is all about...right???!!!

So...I've HAD better weeks. Hope YOU did better in your "auditions" (theatrical or otherwise) this week...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
I can't believe you don't get the lead for whatever you audition for! NOT FAIR. I am a die hard Jeffrey-diva fan.
Write more.
linda

Jeff S. said...

Thanks gorgeous! The shrieking has calmed to a whiny moan now, but I'm still bitter... I'm SURE it'll be a fun show, but it's going to be a challenge to put on my "happy face" at rehearsals...ugh!