Friday, June 29, 2012

Fringe Festival OVERDRIVE!!!


Sooooo...we're in the intensive two week "staging" period for our Fringe Festival Show "A Cappella Love".  "Intensive" is a REALLY good way to put it.  We've memorized the music (mostly), and are focusing on the choreography.  It's AMAZING how, when you try to add choreography, the lyrics COMPLETELY leave your mind!

We're averaging TWO songs per rehearsal, and, since we're "off book", aren't writing any of the moves down in our scripts.  Our choreographer started out by handing out copies of the music with her staging written in the margins, but we haven't received one of those since the first song...UGH!




I wish I could say I'm a "natural" at movement, but, just like the experience of learning/memorizing the music, I'M NOT!!!!  I can honestly say that, of the SIX songs we've staged, I'm confident/comfortable with exactly ONE of them at this point...UGH AGAIN!!!!

In addition to all of the above (plus body percussion, which is IN ADDITION to the choreography), I SOMEHOW have to manage a British accent with my lines, and in my solo pieces...UGH for a THIRD time!!!!

That said, it's really going to be an AMAZING show, and I really like the people with whom I'm working (despite the fact that the majority of them are under 22!!!).  As the OLD PERSON in the cast, who now has sore feet, a sore back, and a possibly permanent hunchback (ha!), I'm SOOOOO in over my head.  THAT said, however, I'm LOVING the challenge, and am going to try REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hard to:

1. Survive the experience,
2. Try NOT look like Willard from "Footloose" (the original) when I move through the songs,
3. Enjoy the ride!!!

Here's the publicity postcard from the upcoming show.  If you're in the area, come and check us out!!!  You can also check out/LIKE our Facebook page at:  https://www.facebook.com/acappellalove.mnfringe.


FRONT

BACK

Here's hoping YOU have found something to challenge you recently too!!!!

1 comment:

Kate Sandvik said...

I can't wait to come see it! You can do it!! :)