Thursday, April 14, 2016

Diagonal, An Iowa Town To Love 1888-1988- Spiralbound Cookbook #24

My second cousins used to live in Diagonal.  We went to visit them a couple of times, but I don't remember much about the town.

Here's their centennial cookbook, printed in June, of 1986:

I'm sure I got this from mom, but there's an "inscription" inside that's in my grandma Reynolds handwriting, so maybe she got a bunch of copies, and mom passed this one on to me...

There are fun divider pages for each section, I'm assuming, decorated by residents of Diagonal:



The recipe I've chosen for the post is for HOMEMADE CHEEZ WHIZ, attributed to Mrs. Sctoo (Kathy Jo) Young, because...WHY NOT??!!

Homemade Cheez Whiz

2 T. margarine or butter
1 1/2 lb. American cheese
2 egg yolks, beaten
13 oz. can evaporated milk
1 T. flour

Use a double boiler, or two regular pans.  Over low to medium heat, melt margarine and add cheese.  When softened add egg yolks, milk and flour.  Cook until thickened.  Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator.

Enjoy!

No comments: