Sunday, April 3, 2016

How Iowa Cooks- Spiralbound Cookbook #17

I also found this cookbook this past weekend in Rogers, Minnesota.  OF COURSE I had to buy it...since it was created in my "home state" of Iowa.  I was THRILLED to find that it was actually created by the Tipton Woman's Club in Tipton, Iowa...the place I consider my home away from home. 

When I was in college at the University of Iowa, we had family friends that lived in Tipton, Larry...Dee..and their boys K.C. and Chris.  I would go to Tipton on weekends to get away from my MISERABLE room mates, and have a DELIGHTFUL time cooking, eating, singing around the piano, and getting to know others in Tipton.  These are some of my happiest memories of college.

Here's the cookbook:

This particular edition was created in 1964, as a memento for their upcoming sesquicentennial.  The dedication states "First copies of this third printing of 'How Iowa Cooks' go on sale as Tipton celebrates its 125th anniversary.  With this in mind the Woman's Club honors Tipton's founding fathers and community leaders of today".  This seal is located above the dedication:


The recipe I've chosen to feature is for MACARONI AND CHEESE SQUARES, attributed to Esther McCroskey, and SCREAMS Iowa:

Macaroni and Cheese Squares

1 1/2 c. scalded milk
1 c. soft bread cubes
1/2 c. melted butter or margarine
1/4 c. chopped pimento
1 T. minced onion
1 1/2 c. American cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 beaten eggs
1 c. cooked macaroni

Sauce:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 c. milk
chopped parsley

Pour milk over bread cubes.  Add butter, pimento, onion, cheese and seasonings and mix well.  Add eggs and macaroni.  Pour into greased 8 x 12-inch baking dish.  Bake in oven at 325 degrees for 50 minutes.  Cut in squares and serve with hot mushroom sauce.

Sprinkle with parsley.

Enjoy!

No comments: