Tuesday, April 12, 2016

WMSC First Mennonite Church Cookbook- Spiralbound Cookbook #23

This past summer I was introduced to the Dutchman's Store in Cantril, Iowa.  I don't know WHY I'd never heard of it/been there growing up, since it's relatively close to Fairfield, but, my friend Tena took me there, and it was AMAZING!!!  It's run by a Mennonite family, and contains many AMAZING things.  If you are ever anywhere near Cantril, you must stop!

I don't know much about the Mennonite Faith, but have friends who were, at one time, "in the fold".  I'm not sure why the women wear bonnets...I'm not sure why they wear simple dresses and sensible shoes.  I'm not sure if they are a "branch" of the Amish...I really SHOULD do more research.

Anyway...I found this cookbook on eBay, and was happy to find out (after purchasing) that it was created by the First Mennonite Church in Iowa City, Iowa...the town of my college years.  It was printed in 1975-1976.

Here's the cookbook:

The recipe I've chosen for this post is for CALICO BEAN BAKE, which reminds me of the simple clothes the women wear.

Calico Bean Bake

1/2 lb. hamburger (browned)
few slices bacon (browned, cut)
1 onion (chopped)
1/2 c. catsup
1tsp. salt
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 T. vinegar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 (no. 2) can pork and beans
1 can lima beans
1 can kidney beans

Mix well and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees or for 1 1/2 hours at 275 degrees.

Enjoy!

No comments: