Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Sunday, June 26th, 1988

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Today started at 5:45- ugh!  I got up, got ready, then went to Kyoguchi Station to start the journey to Tachibana.  I took the 6:54 to Himeji, then walked around & tried to figure out if the track mentioned in my train schedule book was correct.  It was, and I made my train transfer at Ashiya, and arrived to meet Nobu with no problem.

We went to his church, after picking up Becky, his adorable 9 year old daughter.  I talked "off the cuff" in the Sunday school class, then answered questions about America & life in general.

I talked & sang in church about family.  I sang "Friends".  They paid me 10,000 yen for my efforts...a bit extravagant!

After church we went to Victoria Station for lunch.  I had a fabulous salad bar, prime rib, and chocolate mousse.  The interior is designed like a depot with trains at the tracks (complete with rocks under the "cars" and depot signs)(really neat!). 

Ryan (their son) didn't join us because he was dirty from cleaning the church yard.  He's very nice too.  Carol joined us at the "station" (I forgot to mention that Victoria Station is from San Francisco-- there's also one next to Ashiya Station*).


It was a great time.  Becky kept making origami for me, and put together 3 cars of a cardboard train for me...what a doll.

Nobu took me to the station, after a great chat with Carol & Nobu, and several invitations to come in August, October, and they even said they'd get me in Himeji with my luggage, and take me to Osaka after an overnight there in December.  :-)

I got home with no problem, then walked clear from Himeji station to Megumi church...quite a jaunt (especially considering the long day).

S's came down to do the English worship service.  I sang.  All the high school girls going to America were there, so it was a good crowd.

Mr. S. spoke on God's gifts, and it was great to understand what was being said!

I walked home with Linda Lee, and have been vegetating since I got home.

*Remember this

No comments: