Thursday, August 2, 2018

Tuesday, June 21st, 1988

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Tuesday I taught my classes, then had free time until Misuzu came for her lesson at 4:05.  I rode the train in in the morning.

Nobu drove M. & I to a restaurant in Himeji for a follow-up mtng. on festival.  There were about 25 faculty & students there.  We had Japanese pizza...ack!  I walked home afterwards, no problem...except I went the wrong direction...I eventually got home though.

After school Misuzu, L. Lee & I went into Himeji for the "Yukatta Matsuri".  Downtown was crammed with booths, people wearing yukatta's, regualr people, vendors, etc.  I found corn dogs- they were great.  There were also shelves set up filled with water & hundreds of goldfish.  Children pay 200 yen for a paper net & catch as many fish as they can before the paper net dissolved.  Kind of neat!




We ate dinner at Pizza House Miyuki, and since one of my English II students was our waitress, I gave her a hard time by only using English & being a little demanding.  It was fun!

After dinner we went to the park & watched a yukatta fashion show, fireworks, & a karaoke competition.  I bought 2 tea sets at Daiei for Christmas presents.

I cashed yen for dollars & sent a check to mom & $50 to Steph. to cover her 51 minutes, $71.50 phone call to me a few weeks ago.

The whole day I thought about Stephanie, as it was her birthday.  I called her at 7:30, her time, and woke her up to be the first to wish her a happy birthday.  Some of the girls at school wished me "Happy Stephanie's birthday"!

No comments: