Sunday, May 13, 2018

Saturday, April 2nd, 1988

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post

Well today was just kind of here.  Nothing really good happened, and nothing really bad happened.  I did laundry for the first time today in my mini washing machine/spinner.  Not a very effective machine, and I did most of the washing/rinsing by reaching down into the bin and pushing things around in the water.  I did two small loads, and it took about an hour.  I hung things out to dray (this was around 11 a.m.) and most of it still isn't dry...maybe I can wear some of the things I washed next week.

I went to the post office to pick up something that couldn't be delivered while I was gone.  It turned out to be my postal savings book and money card.  It was kind of hard figuring out what the man at the post office was telling me, but it eventually all got worked out.

I went to the plant sale again.  I bought 2 more plants:  a fern, and a yellow lily kind of thing.  I've never seen one before, and think it's really neat.  So, the apartment is starting to take shape!  Plants, plants, plants!


I studied some Japanese classroom instructions, and the first chapter of my Japanese text book, so I'm starting to learn (relearn) the language.  It'll be quite some time before I can actually function on my own, but every step forward is a step in the right direction!

I still wouldn't say I'm exactly happy to be here, but today was basically the first day I've felt comfortable being here.  I still have these occasional anxiety attacks (regarding school, communication, social life, etc.) but for the most part it was a fairly optimistic kind of day.

Tomorrow is Easter, and I'm sure it will be a difficult day to get through, but last I heard I was going to K's for Easter dinner!  Only 1 year, 11 months, 2 weeks, and 1 day left to cope with :-)...

No comments: