Friday, May 18, 2018

Saturday, April 9th, 1988


Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post

I'm writing now, because last night I was too tired to say up and do this.  Yesterday was the opening ceremony at tendai.  It was at 2 p.m. and lasted until about 3:30.  It was long!  Speeches were made by Mr. S., and the president of the Jr. College.  Pictures of faculty and students were taken, and faculty was introduced to the students.  Of course it started with me, and as usual, I didn't know what to do.  I sat by Karl, and he helped.

I also worked on my office for awhile.  Not much to work with, but eventually I'll have it looking okay.  Karl showed Sonia and I around tendai (Bethel Hall, and the library).

Sachiko was there, and I couldn't shake her once she had found me.  She wants me to go to her house for dinner, but I'll stall until I'm able to get through to her that we can only be friends.  (I'd also feel uncomfortable with the family's limited English).

After the ceremony Linda Lee and I rode the train back to Himeji.  I dropped my stuff off at my apartment and went straight to K's.  We went to Royal Host, then to Megumi Church for a Friday night English class.  I met Erland J., the Swedish pastor of the church.  He seemed very nice.

The English class consisted of Karl teaching 5 beginning level girls English, and Linda Lee teaching 2 advanced level boys.  I observed with the idea that someday I'll take Karl's class.  We had coffee and snacks after, then they drove me home, and I opened the first of the boxes I'd shipped- almost like Christmas!

No comments: