Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Wednesday, April 6th, 1988

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post

A basically uneventful day.  I went shopping after exchanging $$ for yen.  I bought a date book, organizer trays and groceries, plus a men's fashion magazine called "Men's Non-No".

When I got home I did some laundry and while checking to see if it was dry I heard someone walk by on the street behind my apartment.  I hid behind my rice paper door, as I didn't wish to be stared at, and couldn't converse anyway.  Well, this Japanese man saw me duck, and came over to investigate.  I went into the kitchen, and could hear him outside (beside the building) trying to look in.  Evidently he thought I was breaking in (either that, or he had an intense interest in caucasians!).  I was waiting for the police to come crashing through my door at some point after that, but nothing more happened.

I wrote some letters and got this far in my hiragana review:


So for now:  au revoir (I'm tired of Japanese!).

P.S.  My French is improving while here, because we (K's and I) eat at Toki which is a French/Japanese restaurant...I can only read the French part of the menu, and even so, only get part of it.

No comments: