Friday, June 8, 2018

Sunday, May 1st, 1988

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.



Today was more work than play, but it was okay.  Karl got it into his head to move the wood by the house to the back on a self made "log shelf".  We cut and levered and pushed and rolled all morning accomplishing nothing really- he ended up throwing most of the wood into the snow cellar, and burning it to kill off the bugs inside, and start filling the old hold in.  

 I was mad because we saw a family of ferrets going in there, and I was afraid there was a nest and babies, but I think the nest is above the hole in a network of tunnels, so maybe they were okay.  Karl said he saw a baby poke its head out of a hole above the place, so here's hoping!

Linda Lee and I walked into Nojiri for groceries.  We stopped at a place called Grampia for lunch- I had pizza toast- yum.  We then walked on into town and bought stuff.  I got post cards and a Coke to add the can to my new can collection.  Yesterday I bought Mickey Mouse orange soda, and today the Samurai Coke can.





I listened to Whitney Houston while reading and "Nobody Loves me Like You Do" came on.  I stared out across the lake thinking of Stephanie, and decided to write her a letter.  Then I sat on the rocky jetty by the cabin and stared out over the lake, town, mountains, and thought of Steph.  I started crying- no sobs, just a few silent tears.  "Greatest Love of All" still has that effect.

We had dinner at a place called Capitan.  I had an honest to God pizza!  Canadian bacon, but nonetheless real pizza.  It wasn't up to American (specifically Pizza Hut) standards, but for Torinos or frozen, it was pretty good!

I started my delvings into bonsai today.  I dug up some rooting acorns and hope to grow a few oak bonsai trees.  I'll probably give it up after awhile, but will give it a try.

It was a wonderful day today...a bit too warm with all the work we did today.  Walking back from town was really hot today too.  I'm ready for a bath!

The restaurant tonight was so neat...nothing really to look at, sort of diner-ish, but they sold pottery and t-shirts, jewelry, etc.  The waitress/owner was really nice, and spoke a little English.  I told her the pizza was wonderful, and she said to come back.  I said I will...tomorrow, and I will!

Nice thought for today (on a wall hanging in my room):

"Prayer should be the key of the day, and the lock of the night".

No comments: