Thursday, January 14, 2016

Church Supper Ham Balls- Recipe Box #14

Apparently, I have my own recipe box tucked in amongst all of the other boxes I've collected:


I'm a little freaked out that I REALLY don't remember it, but I blame it on the fact that I started adding recipes and creating a "favorite recipe" cookbook called FLAIR (Frequently Looked At Interesting Recipes) YEARS AGO:

I have to laugh...as I was choosing a recipe, I kept thinking..."wow...this person's hand writing looks EXACTLY like mine!!"  Oy!

I had a hard time choosing, since I picked all of the recipes in the box, but I decided to add my friend Claudette's AWESOME "Church Supper Ham Balls".  Here's the card:


Here's the recipe:

Church Supper Ham Balls

1 lb. ground ham*
1 lb. lean sausage*
2 cup sof bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1/3 c. chopped onion
2 T. lemon juice
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. powdered mustard
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. paprika

Lightly, but thoroughly, combine meat & crumbs.  In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, add sour cream, onion, lemon juice & spices.  Blend well.  Form into balls (I can usually get 12 out of this recipe) and place in a greased 9 X 13-inch baking dish.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

BASTING SAUCE:
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Bring to a boil & baste the ham balls during last 15 minutes. 

* Card says "or buy 2 pounds of ham loaf at Jack & Jill's", which was one of our local grocery stores!  Nostalgic!!

Enjoy!

No comments: