Sunday, January 31, 2016

Pumpkin Pie Cake- Recipe Box #31

Apparently, I only have THIRTY ONE recipe boxes, because, I'm sad to say, this is the final post about my recipe box collection.  What a HOOT it's been to dig through these boxes, which, to be honest, I haven't spent much time doing.

Some observations:

- Some cooks are VERY VAGUE when writing down recipes!  Whether because they "just knew" what to do, or because they were in a hurry when copying things down, some of the recipes were COMPLETELY confusing to decipher.

- Many of these old recipes are in a sad state of decay!  There were several recipes in several of the boxes that were written on paper that has disintegrated, or the ink has faded, over time.  As a librarian, I feel a little bit of stress to be the "archiver" of these treasures before they disappear completely!

- There SURE were a lot of people who enjoyed WATERGATE CAKE!!!  I found the recipe in AT LEAST seven of the thirty one boxes.   I think I might have to try baking one someday!!

- Looking at the collections of treasured recipes from the various "previous owners" of these boxes has been an honor and a privilege! I feel like I've been "let in the kitchen door" to share in the cooking adventures of these people!

Okay...here's the last box:


Here's an intriguing recipe for Pumpkin Pie Cake.  The notation in the upper left hand corner says that it was obtained or enjoyed in November of 1993, and it's attributed to Helen R.  Here's the card:


Here's the recipe:

Pumpkin Pie Cake

1 lg. can evaporated molk
1 lg. can pumpkin
1 3/4 cup sugar
3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. salt
3 eggs

Mix all together & pour into greased 9 x 13-inch pan.  

Sprinkle 1 box yellow cake mix over pumpkin mix.  Melt 2 sticks "marjarine"- spoon over cake.

Sprinkle 1 up chopped nuts on top.

Bake 1 hour 350 degree oven.

Let cool- top with Cool Whip.


Thanks for sharing this adventure with me, and...who knows...maybe next year I'll have added to the collection, OR will do a "Recipe Box Round Two" series of posts!

Enjoy!

No comments: