Friday, January 1, 2016

Vintage Recipe Boxes

I collect many things, but one of my favorite collections is vintage recipe boxes.  I love them!  I haven't officially counted, but I have around fifty of them that I've purchased on ebay, in antique stores, and at auctions (actually my dad bought the ones from the auctions).

a selection of recipe boxes from my collection

I don't collect empty boxes...only those full of the recipes of the person who previously owned them.  Each box is a snapshot of the life of someone, and each contains treasured family recipes, clippings from magazines, and recipes requested after enjoying the various main dishes, side dishes, and desserts at the houses of friends.

So...I'm going to start my blogging year off by sharing my boxes AND a recipe from each with all of you...the seven who actually follow my blog.  I will include a picture of the box...a picture of the recipe, and, if available where it came from (many cards in many boxes give the name of the person from whom the recipe came).

To start, here's one of the oldest boxes in my collection (based on the condition of the cards inside...one dated 1932, and another card with information on "sugar rationing").  I usually put a note in the box indicating where I found it, but this one doesn't have one.


From this first box, I've chosen to honor the previous owner by posting their RHUBARB MERINGUE PIE recipe:


As is usually the case...especially with the older boxes...the recipe leaves a few details out.  I've reorganized the ingredients and directions, and have attempted to interpret and "complete" the recipe below (with assistance from allrecipes.com!):

Rhubarb Meringue Pie

INGREDIENTS: 

2 1/2 c. rhubarb, cut fine
2 T. water
2 egg yolks
2 T. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 T. butter

2 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
2 T. sugar 

1 9-inch unbaked single pie crust

DIRECTIONS:

Cook the rhubarb in the 2 T. water till tender.  

Drain 1/2 c. juice and discard, if necessary (to keep pie from being too watery?).

Place rhubarb mixture in pie shell.  Mix egg yolks, flour, salt, sugar, and butter.  Pour over rhubarb mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees until filling is set (approximately 50-60 minutes).  Remove pie from oven.

Beat egg whites until foamy.  Add cream of tartar, and beat until soft peaks form. 

Add sugar slowly.  Beat until stiff peaks form.

Spoon meringue over pie, making sure to spread it to the edge of the crust and covering all of the filling.  

Return to oven and bake until meringue is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.

Enjoy!!

No comments: