Monday, February 4, 2019

Monday, December 5th, 1988

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Tuesday was just like every other Tuesday.  I taught my classes, had my Japanese lesson, then went to Mizoguchi for my classes there.  I had 2 new kodomos, and their mothers "chaperoning", then had a high school boy come in.  So, I had to redo my schedule because he's nowhere near the level of Kohei & Tomoko.  So now I have 3 classes on Tuesday night.

Wednesday was my birthday.  Mom & dad & Robin called.  I was almost late to work.  It was a pretty good day.  Barrett stopped by my office with cake, Linda Lee left a present at my door...teddy bear slippers.  I didn't have any meetings, so I was able to work on my English Drama class.  Tomomi brought me socks, and Chinatsu & Michiyo gave me a Shirotopia tie pin.  I helped with the pageant rehearsal at chapel.

After school I went to Akira's with Koji-san.  Hiroko came at 7 & we had salad & Akira's curry rice. they gave me a tie, and, I guess, N. is going to be a regular Wednesday nighter.

Thursday, I taught my E.C. I class, then helped with pageant at lunch.  I had a koto lesson at 1:30.  We are playing in chapel in January- ack!  After school was an English faculty meeting.  I lasted from 4:30 to 8:30.  Needless to say I was upset when it was finally over.  To make matters worse, this was the one where we voted in the new faculty member for next year.  The vote was 5-4 in favor of Sonia.  Nobu came up to me afterwards and asked if I "went over to the other side".  I pleaded the 5th.  We had sushi for dinner.  :-(

Friday I went in and spent the whole day typing my introduction to the Greek unit in my English Drama class (which, by the way, it was decided that I couldn't hand pick my students, as they told me I could at the beginning- those stupid faculty barons)(or better yet, facist faculty members).

I helped with pageant rehearsal- again.  After school I went to Megumi Church- again- for my English lesson.  Thank God it's cancelled next week!

Saturday I cleaned, washed, vacuumed, etc.  Meg called & cancelled their lessons.  Manna's permanently, Meg's & mine until January.  Oh well...more free time!

I went to Sannomiya in the afternoon and went to Tokyu Hands.  I only made it the the 4th floor this time.  What a great place!

After that I went to Rokko, to Charles and Mary's for dinner and Trivial Pursuit (a birthday celebration for Kimberly & I).  Erin, Nora, Charles, Mary, Kimberly, & I had a great time, and I hooked some more people on Mannheim Steamroller Christmas!

I stayed over with Kimberly.

Sunday we slept through church, but got up, got around, went for okonomiyaki, then came to Himeji for Masano's family's Christmas party.

We met some of the JET teachers, and had a great time!  We danced a lot, ate a lot, and it was great!  I won a bento set, and we had our pictures taken with Miss Shirotopia(s).

Kimberly went home, and today I ran errands, and cleaned some more.


No comments: