Sunday, February 3, 2019

Monday, November 28th, 1988

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Friday I went to school and got lots of piddly things done- like grading papers, letters written, etc.

After school we had an English meeting to decide on the new faculty member for next year...of course we didn't decide again, and it was a total waste of an hour & a half.

I rode home with Karl.  We ate at Royal Host, then went to Megumi to teach.  For snacks they served sweet potatoes in foil baked on the room heater...it was kind of neat!

Saturday I got up and met Michiyo and Tomomi at Himeji Station.  Chinatsu was supposed to meet us too, but she got stuck in traffic, and I had to get on the shinkaisoku alone to meet Kim, who was waiting at Sannomiya.  Luckily the train was crowded & I was able to get off before she got on, to flag her down.

We met Chinatsu & the group on the next train & continued on our way to Doshisha University near Kyoto, for the speech contest.  It took 2 1/2 hours!  When we got there we went to a coffee shop for food & something to drink.  Kim & I bought.

Chinatsu did really well, but forgot what to say twice.  All of our hearts in the audience stopped!  The people who won, deserved to, but I think that if Chinatsu hadn't forgotten, that she would have gotten an honorable mention.

During the judging the Doshisha girls did scenes from "My Fair Lady".  This inspired Kimberly & I to write "My Fair Nihonjin" for Shirotopia next spring.

We didn't get out of there until almost 6, due to "closing comments", etc.  I was upset, because we were supposed to go to Mikes for Thanksgiving dinner.  We called & they said they'd wait...we got there at 9:15.  It was fun, but I was too uptight all evening.  I'm trying to "think Dave" (G. & his calmness), but it doesn't always work.

Sunday Kim & I got up & went to the Japanese restaurant on Miyuki Doori for lunch.  She left, & I came home.

I was worship leader at Megumi for English church, so I couldn't go to Rokko...  There were 5 people there...oh how I missed KIBC!!  It was a little fun, though.

Today I met Mike at McDonalds & then we went to Mitsubishi to take care of my furikame for my plane ticket.  Mission finally accomplished!

I went to school for a faculty meeting to decide on flunking entrancees, then came home & cleaned & had a lesson with Kayo.

I'm going to Barrett's in a little while.

No comments: