Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Tuesday, May 9th, 1989

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

The barbecue was fun.  I met people at Rokko Station and Charles picked us up.  I was very low key all evening, partly because I feel like I'm overbearing, partly because I was still relaxed from the trip.

We barbecued hamburgers, played a Japanese word game, went on a scavenger hunt, and talked.  I got home at 11:30-ish.

Sunday I got up, did laundry, cleaned, and caught the train to Rokko at 3:05.  We had choir.  I had to play piano, & everything because Jim O's father died suddenly and he went back to America.  We had bible study, and church as usual, except the choral call to workshop was a cappella, and Ben N. played during service.  Yoshida H., a lady from Kobe Union gave testimony.  It was very poignant.  Her husband died after 2 years of marriage, her mother died of grief because H. was going to church, H. was spit upon, bloodied, and abused because of her belief in God, etc.  Mitsuko sobbed through the whole thing.  It was very powerful.

Monday I taught my last class at the Fukusaki Business School with Mike.  I'm going to miss that class!  Monday afternoon I cleaned, washed winter sheets, changed the futon to summer sheets, etc.

Kayo came at 5.  We had a good lesson.  Monday evening I watched "Krull", started a Bible reading program, knit, read, and then went to bed.

Today was a pretty easy day.  M. gave me a ride from the station.  E.C. I went pretty well.  I yelled once, but that's because they were copying answers from each others book.

In E.C. II we met together (Mike, Sonia & my classes).  2nd period we watched "Willow", and 3rd period we watched "Mannequin".

At lunch Sonia, Mike & I had a nice chat.  I enjoy our Tuesday lunch "meetings".

4th period I wrote letters and Sachiko stopped by to talk.  Some girl came and asked me to periodically check her English journal.  She's doing it on her own, it's not homework for a class, or anything!  What a switch from the pudding brains that graduated last year!

After school "get to know you" conferences started.  I met about 8 of the girls today; more on Friday and the rest next week.

After that I went to Mizoguchi and taught my Tuesday night classes.  They went well.  I found out that Kohei is a part time farmer, and has a rice field.  Tonight I learned about buying rice shoots, when planting takes place, how it's done & used to be done, etc...very interesting!

No comments: