Monday, February 18, 2019

Tuesday, May 2nd, 1989

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Friday I taught my Drama class...everyone is choosing Shakespeare for their prompt book, which would be fine if they could do it, but I think it's only because they can read the Japanese version, too.  When they have to work in English on their scene, they'll be clueless.

N. stopped by for coffee after class, then after school he, Hiroko, Akira & I had a barbecue out by the stone table.  Chinatsu, Michiyo, Tomomi, and Kyoko managed to get invited, but it was fun anyway (but really windy and cold!  Plus we ate ice cream for dessert!).

After the barbecue I ran home (actually Hiroko drove me home), jumped in the shower (because I smelled like smoke), then ran to the bantansen to go and spend the night with Kimberly.

Jimmy called while I was there and I guess he's coming to Japan this summer sometime.  (He wouldn't tell her when, adding immensely to her frustration).

Saturday we met the church gang at Mos Burger and went to the YMCA on Mt. Rokko.  The view was beautiful!  We played games, had fellowship, and attended various lectures.  I went to the ones on spiritual and emotional maturity.  There were 33 of us, and it was a lot of fun!

Sunday, I spent the morning & afternoon cleaning, vegging out, etc.  At 3:00 I started the trek to Rokko for church.  Choir went pretty well.   During church, since it was the fifth Sunday, it was all music.  Ugh!  So I had to do the whole service.  It went much better than I thought it would!  After church I came home because...

...on Monday I got up at 5:00.  K's picked me up at 6:45, and we drove to Nojiri.  It was rainy on the way up, so it wasn't as nice as the drive up last year, plus we took the new expressway, so didn't get the wonderful drive along the coastline.

We stopped at Amagozen Cape, again (where you're by the sea & can go down & climb around the rocks at sea level).







When we got there we bought groceries, then went to Capitan for dinner.  (The lady there didn't remember me 😒, and thought I was K's son).  We came to the cabin, then, got stuff unloaded, then went to bed.


Today I was the 1st one up.  I got up at 8:00, went down to the lake, sat on the dock for awhile, and am now sitting at the edge of the woods listening to the birds and the wind (and a high school band playing down in the village). 

I replaced some saplings I took last year (in the form of acorns) a little while ago.  It was kind of nice to give something back, since this place gives so much in the way of relaxation!




Down by the lake, and the whole week, actually, have been designated "reflection" week.  So many changes have taken place in the past year...Stephanie and I broke up, Grandma Shepherd died, I found KIBC, I went home for Christmas, I became less timid about being here, and generally every facet of my life has changed.  I realize how important my family is to me, how deeply I want to become involved (and rich and famous) in the performing arts, and first and foremost how much I need God in my life.  

I've had such doubts about God's reality, the strength of my faith, etc., and still can't say I'm totally convinced.  I know the basis of my beliefs is there.  I truly, deep down, believe in the creator, and in the miracles of life, death, and everything in between.  I believe in prayer and that the bible is history, but the "light switch" hasn't "clicked on" making me 100%, beyond a doubt, sure...which I guess is what "faith" is all about.

Maybe by realizing this, and continuing to remember this, I will grow in my Christian maturity, and by praying and noticing each prayer being answered, my "faith" will become stronger and, more sincere.

No comments: