Sunday, February 24, 2019

Friday, July 7th, 1989

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Well, it's been an eternity since I've written, and a lot has happened (I think), so I'll scour the back recesses of my memory to try and pull it all out...

The yukatta matsuri with Chizuru was fun, except that it rained.  We shared an umbrella, so half of both of us was wet.  We had to plow through 700 other umbrellas (it was very crowded), and it was hot!  We played the game where you try to catch goldfish with a paper net...neither of us did very well, but the vendor scooped up some extras when he was getting water to fill the bag.  They might still be alive today- had they not spilled all over the floor of a kimono shop we stopped in to have a picture taken...

Friday, June 23rd was business as usual...at least nothing unusual pops to mind, or springs to mind- however the phrase goes.

Saturday, June 24th was the big barbecue, get together at B's.  Mike and Resa, Kimberly, Dan and Sheila and I got together and barbecued hamburgers, played Balderdash, and during the evening Mike got my resume copied for me.  It was a fun evening.








Earlier in the day Kimberly and I went to "our" coffee shop and I helped Yoko N. practice her speech for the Himeji E.S.S. speech contest.

Sunday, June 25th I went to the Chamber of Commerce to hear part of the speech contest.  Yoko did pretty well, but didn't win anything.  She kept stumbling over sentences and repeating them over and over until she got them right.

I left the contest at the 1st intermission, went home and changed, then left for church.

Monday, June 26th I taught Kayo at 1:00, then at 3 went over to Daniel and Sheila's to sing and eat dinner.  We sang for about 2 hours and it was fun!  We had steak and Spanish rice for dinner.  I went home about 9.

Tuesday is drawing a blank, so must've been pretty normal.

Wednesday, June 28th for lunch the student affairs committee dined in the cafeteria, specially set up to sample the new food for the new cafeteria.  It was pretty good (at least the curry, anyway!).

Wednesday night jazz band practiced from 6-9:30.  We got a lot done, but it was hot in Bethel Hall!

Thursday, June 29th, nothing sticks out in my mind.  I practiced koto during 3rd period.  Machiko gave me a key to her office.

Friday, June 20th my drama class took a "field trip" to the chapel to look at the stage, then went back to the room to draw overhead views of the stage.

Sunday, July 2nd, I went to Megumi Church for morning worship.  I sang "In Heaven's Eyes". It went well.  In the afternoon I bought snacks for singles and at 4 met Elaine B. to go to church.  Elaine is from Chicago and teaches at what used to me Amvic.  She reminds me a lot of Kimberly, both appearance-wise and personality-wise.  We went to church, then singles, then came home about 10:30.  It was a hoot!

When we got back to Himeji at around 12-ish a Japanese man approached Elaine by the eki and said that he didn't have a hotel to stay at.  Elaine, always the cool one, lead him to a nearby hotel, took him in, showed him the front desk, and we left.  Turning around 2 blocks later we saw him out on the sidewalk in front of the hotel.  He had been drinking, and maybe wanted to go home with one of us?!

Two blocks later we stopped to watch 5 policemen scuffle with a bunch of rowdies.  They were shoving each other and everything.  Of course Elaine & I stopped to gawk for a few minutes.  What an interesting walk home!

Monday, July 3rd, I taught Kayo at 1:00.  At 5:30 Daniel & Sheila came over for chili.  We had a good talk after dinner and they left at 10:00.

Tuesday, July 4th, Independence Day was business as usual.

Wednesday, July 5th, student affairs went to a coffee shop in Fukuzaki.  It was nice.  We sat out on the sun porch.   The bathroom in the place was amazing.  Lots of mirrors, sunken floor, browns & nature colors, dried flower arrangements, dim lighting, and big.  It was the neatest bathroom I have ever seen (strange to write about a bathroom, but it was cool!)

After student affairs we had an English faculty meeting, then jazz group practice.  We practiced from 6 to 10.

After school I cleaned my ofuro, watched t.v., murdered a cockroach that was obnoxious enough to show itself with the light on while I was home, did dishes, etc.

Today I slept late, caught the 9:30 train to school, and so far have only written in this journal.  In my drama class we're working on front elevations, today...should be...interesting.  Jazz group is practicing at lunch.  I have a koto lesson at 3:00, and tonight my businessman's class is going to Murasaki for class---2 hours of conversation only.  Should be interesting- since they are all pretty low level speakers...oh well, they are fun people...

THINGS THAT I FORGOT TO MENTION PREVIOUSLY:

Singles group on the 2nd was full.  There were a lot of new faces to replace all of the people we lost.  It was strange being one of the "old timers".

Y-san gave me a ride home from jazz practice on the 5th.  He speaks fairly good English.  It was an enjoyable ride home.

Last night (Thursday) I got a strange call.  I used my call screening and waited until the caller left a message to see if I wanted to pick up the receiver, but the message was an intermittent dial tone and one ring.  The message lasted about 2 minutes then the phone went dead.  It was strange!  I called Mike & he had no idea what it was...he called me today to make sure that no aliens had beamed me up, or that I hadn't been kidnapped or anything.  How strange!

No comments: