Friday, February 15, 2019

Monday, April 3rd, 1989

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Thursday was E.S.S. rehearsal.  It went all right.  Thursday afternoon I shopped for awhile, then came home and watched "The Tunnels Spring Special".

Friday, I rehearsed with Michiyo for a few hours, then went shopping.

Saturday I did spring cleaning all day.  I scrubbed the floor in my futon closet that had mildewed, I scrubbed the grout gook and scum out of my bathroom.  I vacuumed, washed, scrubbed, rearranged, de-grimed, rearranged again, etc.  It took me about 6 hours to clean, but I got it done.  I also dusted and washed my sheets.

Sunday I stored winter scarves and gloves for the summer.  I did a little more cleaning, then left for Sannomiya.  I went to Mr. Jackets (and didn't buy anything!), then met Kimberly at Sun Kotobuki for dinner.  We had choir, bible study, church, then singles.

I came home (surprisingly by shinkaisoku- they must run late during spring holidays.).  I was also fortunate in catching the last bantansen.  No big problems in the last 2 days due to the implementation of the consumption tax, but Friday I went to Topos and stood in line for 25 minutes...everyone was hoarding stuff on the day before the new tax.  I was so upset by the time I finally got out of there!  It was also dangerous, because I ended up buying 10 more things by the time I got to the counter, than I started in line with. (I was in a good aisle!).

Today I went to Topos and there wasn't anyone at the registers on the same floor (but on the top floor I had to wait 10 minutes...grrr.)

Today was wonderful!  I met Mitsuko, a former friend from KIBC, and Kimberly at the eki and we went to Himeji castle (after a stop at Daiei to buy obento) to view cherry blossoms.  I took a blanket, and we sat under the cherry trees to eat & look around.  It was so beautiful! After lunch we took a lot of crazy pictures and toured the castle.  Places not usually open- were, due to Shirotopia.  So we got to see the toilets, tea ceremony bldng. and the shorter tower in the main donjon.


















After the castle, we dropped Kimberly at the eki, dropped my film off (the guy was rude & I had to pre-pay- for the 1st time ever, plus they didn't give me any free film!), then the former friend, Mitsuko, and I took the bus to my place.  I made tater tot casserole and Mitsuko & I feasted while my former friend continued on in the first grueling day of her diet with a salad and a can of tuna...

After dinner we played cards (Nertz).

I walked them to the station at 9:30.  What a day!

No comments: