Friday, February 1, 2019

Thursday, November 24th, 1988

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Friday night was English class at Megumi.

Saturday I slept in, then got ready and took the shinkaisoku to Rokko to meet Kimberly.  When she got there we took a taxi to Canadian Academy for the the KIBC Thanksgiving dinner. It was fun, and the food was great!  I had my 1st cornbread stuffing.

 Mary B. and Lynn G.




After dinner a bunch of us (Barry, Kimberly, Steve, Robin, Ben, Allyson, Nora, Mitsuko, Chiyoko, and I) went bowling.  On my first game I broke 100, but on the 2nd & 3rd, didn't.




 Mitsuko and Allison


 Steve, Chieko, Kimberly, Mitsuko, me, Robin, Barry, and Ben being tired...

After the crazy picture & bowling session some of us went coffee shop hopping.  After that I coaxed Barry into taking a picture of one of the barkers in Sannomiya who's tuxedo I really liked.  (I was too embarrassed to ask myself).

After that we went shopping at Tokyu Hands (a fabulous store).  Gradually, through the evening we lost people.  Finally Kim, Chiyoko, Barry and I went to Mikage to the okonomiyaki restaurant and had great food- as if we weren't stuffed enough from the dinner earlier that day.

 the "okonomiyaki" lady at Kimberly's and my FAVORITE little grill in Rokko!!

I stayed over at Carol & Nobu's.

On Sunday I got up and went to church in Rokko.  Afterwards, Allyson, Mitsuko, Naomi and I met Kimberly in Mikage and we went back to Mukonoso for a festival that they were having.  It was really crowded, so we didn't stay long.  I, of course, managed to buy something in the short time we were there!

After looking at the festival we went to Tsukashin.  I got some more Christmas shopping done.  I like Tsukashin a lot.  I also bought Kimberly's b-day gift there.  It's a shower head shaped like a gorilla's head.  The water shoots out of his mouth.  It's cute!

After that we went back to Rokko for Bible study and church.  I helped Paula set up to sing.  She was really nervous, and didn't do well.  She was so humiliated, she said that she would never sing again.  Kim sat on one side, and I on the other and through the rest of the service she signed & shook her head.  I felt really sorry for her.  I walked to the station with her, and she was pretty well composed, but I heard that she just sobbed all the way home on the train.

Monday I slept in, then went shopping on Miyuki Doori.  I finished my Christmas shopping.  I came home, and had a lesson with Kayo, then ran downtown to pick up my pictures from Saturday.  I got lots of great mail that day...lots of bday cards, and a Mannheim Christmas tape from Robin.  Mom sent me a sweater, some clippings, a magazine, and told me she got me 2 subscriptions to teaching magazines for my bday, too.  Unfortunately, I got a letter from Stephanie that day, too.  It suffices to say that we are no longer together.  Period.  Kind of ruined the rest of the evening!

Tuesday was my busy day.  I taught my classes as usual, except that I showed a video (Sesame Street) in E.C. I.  In E.C. II we started drawing our own cartoons.

I had my Japanese lesson with Yukari.  It went pretty well.  I was kind of out of it the whole day though, because of Steph's letter.

After school I went to Mizoguchi for my kodomo & adult classes.  They went pretty well.

Wednesday I got up and went to Kimberly's for French toast. It was really good.  She's been a big help since I got Steph's letter.  After we ate and talked for awhile we went to a town near Shukugawa to buy groceries, then went to Ashiya to the singles Thanksgiving dinner.  It was fun.  There were about 40 people there.  Dave's mansion is exactly that- 3-6 mat rooms upstairs, 2-10 mat rooms down, a full size washer & dryer, sunken kitchen, yard, big genkan, 2 bathrooms, gorgeous!

  We played Pictionary, and talked.




Mitsuko acting out "witch doctor"...

me and Paula

 Glenn


 Dave


 Dave and Mary


I walked to the station with Naomi, then came back to Himeji, and went to bed.

Today I had to come to school to be "on call" for entrance exams- whatever that means!  So, I'm sitting here doing nothing- all day.  What a drag.  I got a great care package from mom with a bday cake kit, and all of my back magazines in it.  What a mom!

I may be able to get an advance on my December paycheck, so that I'll have money at Christmas time...wouldn't that be nice!

I got a letter from Nancy W. yesterday.  It was nice to hear from her again!

No comments: