Thursday, March 7, 2019

August 31, 1989 (Part VI)

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Today Dianne & I went to Achaffenburg.  We went to the Waechtersback (Vectersbock) factory and I spent 244 marks after getting only 8 feet in the door.  I bought a tableware set for 6.  It's a dusty blue and the set includes: 6 plates, 6 smaller plates, 6 saucers, 6 cups, creamer, sugar bowl, 6 bowls, a water pitcher, baking dish, 2 serving trays, 3 serving bowls, and I bought other miscellaneous cups & things that I liked.  I had a small cow, but think I got a good deal (except that they, of course, wouldn't take my travelers check, so we had to find a bank)(the bank with the mumbling bank clerk...).

After the factory we went to a castle.  It was very symmetrical, but we couldn't go inside.







After that we went to a church and an old Polish guy started talking to us.  He said Americans were wonderful, etc. etc. and how he came to Germany for 3 days with 20,000 whatever the money unit is in Poland and it only got him 9 marks at the bank.  He had no right hand & cried, then asked for money.  Di game him 3 marks & I gave him my pocket change (which happened to be 12 marks :-() and felt terrible afterwards because I thought I might have been suckered, but now am not so uptight about it...if I can spend 244 marks on dishes, I can certainly believe this man & give him 12 marks!








After shopping we went to another castle & toured the inside (do bunnies have horns?).




 I and Di fed the rainbow trouts cookies, then came home.

We made blueberry dessert, did laundry, and now I'm going to bed!

No comments: