Friday, March 22, 2019

Saturday, January 13th, 1990

Note:  This is a series of journal entries from my two years living in Himeji, Japan (1988-1990).  I'm archiving them electronically through my blog.  Last names have been deleted and replaced with first initial only.  For details on this series of blog entries, see this post.

Last Sunday I met Chiyomi and Mayumi at 31 and we went to Sannomiya.  We met Mitsuko at Hankyu and went to OPA.  We ate lunch at Central Station, then shopped at IPA and Tokyu Hands.  We also talked a lot, and had a really nice day. 




At 4:00 Mitsuko & I went to church for choir and bible study.  Choir went fine, but bible study was really bizarre.  Half the class thought that we were meeting at the student center, and half though that it was at CLI (which is where it was).  So, 25 minutes after we were supposed to start, Dick G. decided to play impromptu Sunday school leader.  He did well, and said some things that I needed to hear.  If Angie hadn't come over looking for a place to put up signs, we'd never had known we were supposed to be in the other place.

Church was normal, except that afterwards Becky told me of a job opening at a place in Suma called Marist Brothers International schools, teaching 3rd grade.  Something told me when she mentioned it, that this was what I was supposed to do, and I spent the rest of the evening being freaked out to various people.

When I got home I called Mitsuko to tell her (and freak her out) and called Mike & Resa.  They were excited.

Monday I did a lot of thinking and cleaned, etc.

Tuesday I went to Mike & Resa's to type a letter of inquiry and stayed for a movie & lunch, then went to Himeji and mailed it.

I taught my classes in Mizoguchi.  I told Takeuchi-san that the 28th of February, was my last class.  She was stressed, and asked if I had any friends who could take over.  I'm letting her take care of it...it's her school, not mine.

I told Mayumi & Chiyomi that I might be staying- they were excited.

Wednesday, I cleaned some more and met Mitsuko at 4.  We shopped a little, then went to Mike & Resa's.  We watched videos, ate lasagna, talked, and had a good time.  We stayed overnight.

Thursday we got around and went to Himeji.  Mitsuko & I came here for a few minutes (to repack & get some stuff), then went to Mitsubishi to get money and to another bank to buy a bank draft to pay for Kimberly's & my air tickets to Europe.

After that we went to McDonalds, Daiei, and then to Tsukaguchi to see a doctor about my foot.  Little did I realize that this was an acupuncturist, and I got acupunctured.  I also got to soak my foot in green water, got hooked up to an electric pulse thing, and had an electric bar rubbed over my foot.  Mitsuko said not to do the acupuncture to me when we came in, but when the "doctor" started swabbing my foot, I knew it was all over.  It didn't hurt much, but the needles are still in, and have to be in for a week.  I've also got about 4 lbs. of tape wrapped around my food.  Not a fun time.  Plus, they wanted me to put on these dorky knee length hospital shorts when I got there (I refused)!

After the torture chamber "doctor's office" we went to Tsukashin and I bought a few things.

Then we went to Mitsuko's and I helped cook dinner for us & her father.  We ate & watched t.v., then I attempted to ofuro with a plastic bag over my foot, but gave up soon after because I couldn't put the bag under water because the air would escape & it'd fill with water & if I stuck my leg over the edge of the tub my butt didn't reach the bottom of the tub & I had to just kind of float there.

Friday we got up & around & met Mike & Resa & Kimberly at Shukugawa to go to Tony Romas.  After lunch Mike, Resa, Autumn & I came back to Himeji.

I came home, & sat around, wrote a letter to Liz C. (a card from her & Diane F. were in a box mom sent with Mitsuko & Kimberly's Christmas sweaters on Wednesday), then went to teach my Friday class.  I came home, and watched "The Parent Trap".  It was cute!

Today I cleaned kitchen cupboards, the refrigerator, went to the grocery store, washed curtains, generally cleaned & vacuumed and am trying to catch up on some paperwork.

The Jehovah's Witness stopped by as I was leaving for the store & said she was writing me a letter...joy.  She may be coming back & I've decided to tell her that if she's here to talk about JW to leave, but if she wants to go to church that I'll meet her downtown tomorrow to go.

I also got a letter from Marist Brothers Int'l. school.  Although it's not very encouraging, it's not totally discouraging.  It basically said that a substitute teacher at the school will be 1st pick for the job, but if they don't want it, I'll be a candidate with several other applicants...

All week I've been praying for God's will to be done, and I still will, because if God wants this to work out, it will.  But, I didn't realize, until I got the letter, how much I want this job.  It's good money, good experience, I'd get to live on Port Island, got to KIBC for another 2 years, get to keep my friends, and save about $25,000.00 over the two years, back home!

Forgot to mention that last Monday I met Masano and Nao at 12:30.  We went to a coffee shop, then to lunch at a place called "Cotton Candy".  After lunch we went to the N's and I got to talk to okasan for awhile.  I also got to play with the 8 cats.

At 5, we left to go to Mark & Hatsuyo's for dinner.  We had tacos and chatted until 9:00.  It was a lot of fun!

No comments: